Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
'18 Outback Limited/Ex: 2000 Outback Limited
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I understand how the system works..motor driven. After the parking brake is set is there a constant electrical draw on the motor.

I'm thinking how electric brakes work on trailers, when the brakes are applied there is a constant electric draw until you release the brakes.

Does Subaru's just set the brake and then turns itself off?

Hope this question makes sense.

Bill

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,625 Posts
pretty sure it's like an electric window - it sets, then is off until a demand to release is made.

·
Premium Member
2018 Outback 3.6R Limited; 2" LP Aventure lift, LPA skid plates and small bumper guard, diff breather relocation, subframe skids; Motegi MR118 17x8et32 wheels; Yakima LoadWarrior with extension; ARB
318 Posts
Can't answer for 100% certain how it works, but do I know I only hear the motor run for a second or two when I push the button to set the brake.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
pretty sure it's like an electric window - it sets, then is off until a demand to release is made.

Makes sense...didn't even think along those lines.

Can't answer for 100% certain how it works, but do I know I only hear the motor run for a second or two when I push the button to set the brake.

I hear the same thing, but was wondering if maybe it was still 'pulling'. I think "Lucky" is on the money.

Thanx guys for the feedback!

Bill

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Follow up...After some massive Google lookin' I (think) found the company who designed and developed (what looks to be like the Sub E-Brake) and YES it does work like an electric window. Like an elec window with a whole lot more parts involved.

Bill

·
Registered
2016 Outback Limited 2.5i.
41 Posts
I will chime in. Once the e-brakes are applied there is no further electrical draw until they get the signal to unscrew the shaft/rod that is holding the brake tight. So yes...sort of like electric windows! :)

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When I found the article on the E-Brake and read it....it all made sense. But for the live of me, I just couldn't get my (old) brain around it in the beginning (LOL). In other words, Ya just saw a college degree go down the drain.

Bill

Reactions: FlyboyTR
1 - 7 of 7 Posts