Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I would appreciate some help please. Car is October 1997 outback 2.5 wagon and I am in Australia.

Antilock brake dash light came on.

I check resistance of all wheel sensors, all are around 1000 ohms. So the sensors must be OK.

I took the front two sensors off and cleaned them, wd40 and brass wire brushed them and reinstalled.

Dash light still on.

Under dash on drivers side is the diagnostic connector. Manual says to earth pin 6 and count the antilock pulses of the dash light to see fault. I have a list of the fault code. Found the earth connectors hidden on the loom but diagnostic block is a bit of a mystery and I am guessing at this point.

The manual says the diagnostic connector is located on the fan unit, there was a block there that was secured to the heater unit by one self tapper, I shorted the pin or so I thought.

No more light for antilock on dash but oddly the handbrake light is not on now or the anti lock dash light (or any lights on the lower part of the dash), BUT all the electric windows and fan blower are now not working but indicator lights/headlights, wipers are ok.

Checked all fuses under dash and in engine bay, none are blown. Have I cooked a relay?

any help will be gratefully appreciated as we need the car asap. What do I check next?

Fred

·
Registered
18,424 Posts
How did you check the fuses?

Not sure if this applies to your Australian model, but based on North American model wiring diagrams for that generation, a common factor to the latest symptoms is a fuse in the cabin fuse panel. It's identified in the wiring diagram as fuse #15, 10 Amps and powers a range of functions (depending on how the car is equipped):

A/C switch
Combination meter (includes instrument panel warning lights)
Mode control panel
TCS off switch
Blower motor relay
Check connector
Daytime running light control module
Daytime running light relay
FRESH/RECIRC actuator
Hi-beam relay
Power window and sunroof relay
Seat belt timer

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks plain OM. It was a 10A fuse. Windows and fan all ok but ABS problem remains. Fault code is 26 which relates to rear sensor signal. Sensors measure correct resistance and similar voltage when tested (by manually spinning the wheels). Cleaned all muck out of tone ring area. Can clear the fault code but returns as soon as car is driven. Next step is to get replacement sensors and try.

·
Registered
18,424 Posts
Fault code is 26 which relates to rear sensor signal.
Right rear sensor.

I wonder if the two rear sensors are the same part. If so, then it might be possible to swap the right rear and left rear sensors. If the problem is a sensor, the fault code # would change. If the fault code remains at 26, for the right rear, it points to wiring or something related to the hub - perhaps a faulty tone ring, or incorrect gap between the sensor and ring. (I recall some posts noting that if tabs on the tone ring are broken, or a tone ring is cracked, it could lead to sensor codes.)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts