Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Outback Premium
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having some issues with the DS door recently. Drove to work a couple weeks ago with the front windows down, then shut them when I got there. When I left, none of the window buttons would work on any of the doors and the lock button on the DS door wouldn't work. The PS lock would lock/unlock the doors and the fob did lock/unlock the car though. It continued not working for several days, then suddenly worked again, although the auto up feature didn't work until I reset it. Now a couple weeks later it has happened again. This time as I was stopping at a store with all the windows down. Same problems with all the buttons. The DS window button would make a faint noise the first couple times I pushed it then nothing. In/out of gear didn't do anything. Turned the car off then power back on nothing. Then I opened and slammed the door and it suddenly worked again and I was able to roll up all the windows and use the lock button. The auto up feature isn't working again so I'll have to reset that again.

Also during this time I realized the front DS door speaker isn't working. The DS dash speaker still works but when I answered a Bluetooth phone call I could hardly hear it even with the volume turned up. I also verified this but adjusting the stereo so all sound was through the DS front speaker. After I bought the car, I remember hearing a loud beep/noise from the front speakers when trying to setup my phone Bluetooth. But didn't notice anything else at the time. The DS puddle light also wasn't working and I found it was unplugged and not just loosely plugged in but the wire was actually back inside the door. I've also had to tighten the DS mirror. It was making noise and after removing the triangle cover inside, I found 2 of the 3 screws were loose. So I'm not sure if the door had been damaged or apart before or what.

Not sure any if any of this is related or not but it sucks to not be confident you will be able to get the windows back up when you're going someplace. The car only has 40k miles so shouldn't be having issues already. I'm sure I'll need to take the door apart to look for anything obvious, but I was hoping someone would have some ideas on what to check.

Thanks.

·
Registered
18,858 Posts
The door harness connector that attaches to the back of the DS window/lock switch assembly might be falling out. This would disable all the window up/down functions as well as the driver door lock/unlock switch.

All the passenger door window up/down controls work through their corresponding up/down window switches in the DS switch panel. However, the front passenger door lock/unlock switch does not work through the driver door, so it isn't affected.

This wouldn't affect the DS speaker. But if you already found that the puddle light wasn't connected, the same might go for the speaker. It does seem that the door interior was worked on at some time and the wiring wasn't restored properly.

Also, inside the door the cable that's attached to the switch assembly, and the wiring from the speaker, come together at a pair of rectangular, 2-row, 20-pin connectors. These connectors carry the wiring for all the electrical functions in the door. The wires from the upstream side of this pair then goes out of the door through the flexible boot into the area at the far left of the dashboard behind the driver side kick panel. There the wires, along with others, go into a large, roughly square, 28 pin-connector, where it connects to the instrument panel harness. Although I doubt the latter could be loose, the 20-pin connectors could be.

·
Registered
2014 Outback Premium
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. I took the door liner off last night and couldn't find any connections that were loose. I found that the DS speaker does work by swapping it with the PS speaker. So both front speakers work but neither work when connected to DS wiring. After putting the door back together I now have more/different issues.
-The puddle light which worked before doesn't again
-The front windows both work from DS and PS switches but the rear windows wont work from the front. The rear windows both go down with their respective switches but neither will go up. Hence the rear windows are now stuck open.
-All the window switches light up except when the window lock switch is enable then only the drivers switch lights up which Im guessing is what should happen.

Guess I'll be dropping it at the dealer tomorrow.:frown2:

Or not. I hadn't even got this posted and decided to go check something again. I wiggled the rubber boot the covers the wires between the door and car. The puddle light came on and the DS switch lights blinked. Wiggled a little more and all the power shut off to the door. Followed it to the foot well and after removing the plastic kick panel found a large white connector. Pushed it together until it clicked and all the windows, switches, and the speaker work! :5: Looks like that's all it was. Hopefully, it keeps on working! Thanks again plain OM for the help.

·
Registered
2013 3.6R Limited
1,056 Posts
Sounds like someone has been in there before, got careless, and did not check their work before buttoning everything up again. Hope this indeed fixes it. Keep us posted.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts