Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow Subaru owners. I'm hoping to tap into your collective knowledge to fix a problem that started yesterday. I started the car in the morning are the symptom are as follows:

1) Check engine light is on.
2) Speedometer does not work
3) Cruise control does not work
4) "Oil at Temp" light flashed for a few seconds at startup and then went off

I'll posted the codes for the CEL tomorrow, which is the soonest I can get the code reader on there. Does anyone know what could be causing these different symptoms together?

EDIT: The car is a 1998 Legacy Outback 2.5L with an automatic transmission

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,945 Posts
miles on the car?

(and moved thread to gen1 outback land)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for moving the thread. I apologize for that I am new to the forum.

Mileage is about 250K... So lot's of wear and tear

·
Registered
18,975 Posts
Hello fellow Subaru owners. I'm hoping to tap into your collective knowledge to fix a problem that started yesterday. I started the car in the morning are the symptom are as follows:

1) Check engine light is on.
2) Speedometer does not work
3) Cruise control does not work
4) "Oil at Temp" light flashed for a few seconds at startup and then went off

I'll posted the codes for the CEL tomorrow, which is the soonest I can get the code reader on there. Does anyone know what could be causing these different symptoms together?

EDIT: The car is a 1998 Legacy Outback 2.5L with an automatic transmission
Not sure about the 98, but on later models, cruise doesn't work if the check engine light (CEL) is on.

When a fault is detected in the connections between the transmission control module and the transmission itself, the AT Oil Temp light will flash 16 times when the ignition is first turned on, and then go out. The code reading procedure in this thread might work on your 98.

The CEL might be on because there's a problem with the transmission, or, it could be on because there's a separate issue related to the engine. Use a plug-in reader to see what codes are there.

All four symptoms might be due to the same cause, such as a faulty vehicle speed sensor.

·
Registered
'98 Outback
250 Posts
Except for the oil light, I had the same symptoms on my manual version. My scanner pointed me right toward the vehicle speed sensor mounted on the transmission. Easy though expensive fix, about $150 for the part.

·
Registered
158 Posts
+1
You'll likely need this:

That tip breaks off and won't spin to send a signal.....and all your codes occur.

These are one of those things that does tend to break, but I'd get another used one either on ebay or @ your local yard...a LOT cheaper than new...and I think you can use the '90-'94 version,which is mechanical and just reuse the top section w/your electrical connection.

Alternately, it could be in the dash cluster....read up on that here/online for easy DIY. More/most common on the '99 models, but may affect yours too. ...or again buy a used cluster and swap it in from any '95-'98 Legacy ('99 was the transition year and not sure if it's compatible).

Td

1 - 6 of 6 Posts