Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently had the battery cables replaced on my 2000 Legacy Outback, after that my cigarette charger stopped working. Everything else is fine, all the fuses are checking out ok. I tested the socket and it had no juice. I asked my mechanic friend what to do, and he installed a new electrical outlet in my glove box. We tested it and it has an electrical current in it. However, whenever we plug something it, nothing happens. It does not start charging anything. We've tried multiple cell phones and a gps. He cannot phantom what the problem is. Has anybody ever had an issue like this?

·
Registered
19,364 Posts
I doubt changing the battery cables would have caused the power outlet to fail unless the outlet was used during the work for some reason.

all the fuses are checking out ok.
How did you check the fuses? Visually? To be sure, fuses should be checked for continuity with a meter, or substituted by another known good fuse of the same Amperage.

I tested the socket and it had no juice.
Similarly, how did you test the socket? The best way is to check for Voltage (~12-13 Volts) between the center pin and the case, with a Voltmeter. Using power draining loads such as a charger or a GPS unit could be problematic, especially if there's a bad contact.

In other similar cases, others have suggested checking the connection at the back of the socket. Apparently, there's a fine wire that sometimes burns out, just like a fuse. When this is replaced, the socket is restored.

he installed a new electrical outlet in my glove box. We tested it and it has an electrical current in it. However, whenever we plug something it, nothing happens.
This doesn't make sense but then, what do you mean by "has an electrical current"?
Do you mean there's 12 Volts at the socket (measured as noted above)?

Is this a new car to you? If so, then are you aware that the power outlets do not work when the key is out or the ignition switch is at the OFF position?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts