Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2008 Subaru Outback. The battery went dead and the car wouldn’t move. Supposing the electronic E brake locked. Battery died from non-use. Battery now charged to 12.6v and still the car won’t move. What next?

·
Registered
2008 Subaru Outback XT (MT) & 2016 Subaru Outback Ltd
285 Posts
I have 2008 manual and there is no electronic e brake on those cars. Might be a different story with an automatic transmission. Let’s see what others say. Is it possible brakes just seized up from non-use? Had it happen on my Hyundai years ago. Good luck.

·
Registered
2005 Outback VDC limited 3.0r
1,256 Posts
Do you mean it won't start? Cranks but won't stay running? Literally won't move? Won't shift out of park if auto? If literally not moving, while in gear. Then points to brakes seized up. Sometimes getting under the back and tapping with a hammer frees up.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I don’t have the manual handy, but I remember it covering unlocking the brake if things go wrong.

I have a ’12 Premium 4-cylinder with CVT. If the brake is engaged and I don’t release it, when I hit the gas in reverse or drive it automatically releases on its own.

·
Registered
2012 STI, 2007 Impreza RS
305 Posts
2008 does not have electric e-brake.
Only a manual lever in the center of the front seats

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do you mean it won't start? Cranks but won't stay running? Literally won't move? Won't shift out of park if auto? If literally not moving, while in gear. Then points to brakes seized up. Sometimes getting under the back and tapping with a hammer frees up.
It won't move while in neutral.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
2008 does not have electric e-brake.
Only a manual lever in the center of the front seats
okay. I made the supposition not know all the facts, assuming a locked electronic brake can be caused by a drained battery. No electronic e-brake the car not moving as in not even rolling means there must be another reason.

·
Registered
2005 Outback VDC limited 3.0r
1,256 Posts
Likely your parking brake shoes are stuck. Try driving it forward and backward a bit while moving the parking brake lever up and down. If that doesn't work, you can try tapping the back brakes with a small hammer. Worst case, you will need to pull the back brakes apart and possibly replace the parking shoes.

·
Registered
2012 STI, 2007 Impreza RS
305 Posts
It won't move while in neutral.
How long has it been sitting?
I have lots of parts cars, and after sitting over the winter many times a wheel will seize up.
I never put the e-brakes on if the car will be sitting a long time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts