Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2017 base Outback 2.5i
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2017 OB 2.5i and am concerned what is the best strategy for using the electronic parking brake EPB. If I engage it every time I park, two things could potentially go wrong...it freezes and has to be towed or it eventually breaks. If I don't use it, I worry about the wear and tear on the transmission.

What are you folks doing when parking on a flat surface....engaging the EPB or not engaging it?

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
I've never had the freezing issue you mentioned, but I also don't part on much of an incline, ever. I'll use it if I park on the street or hill. I don't use it unless I have to.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6R Limited with Eyesight, Forest Green
93 Posts
Interesting. I hadn't ever thought about it. I always use a parking brake, hill or not. On a steep hill, I even turn the wheels. To me, it is just another wear part, electronic or cable. So something you use and fix if it fails.

·
Banned
6,264 Posts
On my '15 OB, I've never used it. Have no idea if it even works.

Reactions: FLWhite*17

·
Super Moderator
2016 3.6 Limited with ES
3,039 Posts
I've used it on rare occasion. Really rare.

Never really used it on my prior vehicle either.

·
Registered
2018 3.6R limited w/eyesight Subaru Outback....sold my 2011, Subaru Outback, 2,5i Spt Pack.
159 Posts
On my previous 11" I used every single time whenever I park...winter weather, uphill, auto release by pressing the gas. I've had no issues. The hill holder is a beautiful thing.
I'm using it all the time on my 18" now.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
4,863 Posts
Living in rust country I learned early on in the days of cable operated parking brakes that using them was a good way to turn you vehicle into a permanently stationary object. It was also standard procedure when replacing rear brake shoes to remove all of the parking brake parts inside the rear drums to avoid any accidental engagement.

Things have changed a lot since those days but old habits are tough to break and I still can't seem to get past the idea that parking brakes are to never be used. I wonder if there is a 12-step program for this? :|

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Limited, VF37, STI intake, 5MT
1,610 Posts
I'd exercise it every now and then. Non-moving parts are likely to stay non-moving parts. And at $275/ ea for the motors, I don't want to find out if they work when I need them.

·
Registered
2017 base Outback 2.5i
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Doesn't the electronic emergency/parking brake in the 2017s use a rotor system vs a cable?

·
Registered
'18 Outback Touring 3.6R, '11 Legacy 3.6R Limited. '11 WRX not stock
612 Posts
[QUOTE

What are you folks doing when parking on a flat surface....engaging the EPB or not engaging it?[/QUOTE]

On a significant incline I'll use it but on a FLAT surface never have. Do what makes you happy cause stress kills.

·
Registered
2014 3.6R Limited
1,210 Posts
I use mine when parking will put pressure on the parking paw. Never on flat ground. I suspect it's a use it or lose it thing. If you never use it the 1 time you may really need it it may not work!

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6R
21 Posts
On my 18 I’ve been using it every time I shut off the car, regardless of incline.

I too am in “never use your parking brake” country due to salt, but this feels like an entirely different type of system then the old cable pulls that were prone to seizing. I have no idea how this system actually works, but the direct interaction that you can feel in the pedal whenever you turn it on or off leads me to believe that using it in these climates won’t be dangerous in the same way.

If you’re mechanically inclined at all, you’re always going to be thinking about modes of failure in your machines. In this case I am more concerned about the health of the CVT than I am of the parking brake system. Honestly, I wouldn’t be surprised if the first thing to fail in the parking brake system is the paddle switch used to turn it on and off :grin2:

Only time will tell!

·
Registered
'14 Subi OBW, '18 Subi Forester
2,004 Posts
40 years of driving and a multitude of vehicles in salty NY. We all use our parking brakes 100% of the time. Zero incidents.

·
Registered
'08 3.0R Limited Sedan; '09 Outback 3.0R
152 Posts
40 years of driving and a multitude of vehicles in salty NY. We all use our parking brakes 100% of the time. Zero incidents.
Agreed. Here in NY, a properly working parking brake is part of the annual safety inspection. If you never use a parking brake, it will seize up here due to corrosion. Daily use and you'll rarely have issues.

·
Registered
2017 Outback Premium, silver
526 Posts
Doesn't the electronic emergency/parking brake in the 2017s use a rotor system vs a cable?
And as such is less prone to freezing.

Thus I now use my PB every time.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6R Limited with Eyesight, Forest Green
93 Posts
On my previous 11" I used every single time whenever I park...winter weather, uphill, auto release by pressing the gas. I've had no issues. The hill holder is a beautiful thing.
I'm using it all the time on my 18" now.
I didn't realize it would release when you applied the gas. Tested that out today and it works. I little abrupt, but works.

·
Registered
'15 Outback 2.5i Premium
2,633 Posts
I'd owned only stick-shift cars for 40 years before buying the OB. Setting the parking brake was just part of what you did when parking. Never had one seize.

Even though I'm skeptical about the whole "you'll ruin your automatic transmission if you don't set the parking brake" shtick, setting the brake is still part of the ritual. The downside of doing this is so small that I see no rational reason not to.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts