Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FYI. Here's an email I received today regrading the infotainment system updates:

Thank you for contacting Subaru of America. We appreciate you taking the time to connect with us.

We are anticipating a software update for your model radio unit becoming available in the coming weeks which will address a number of troubleshooting concerns and will be the most in-depth update to date. Radio updates will become part of regular maintenance for the vehicle and this update will be able to be completed at your next service interval

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
13,289 Posts
Subaru has provided a couple updates a year, unlike flying cars, which won't be practical until we've mastered antigravity or have portable fusion reactors.

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT Crystal Black Silica
480 Posts
I just hope the radio in my flying car isn't made by Denso and that the seat heater can be adjusted from the top screen...

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
13,289 Posts
Sorry but I think there are reasons why it's not possible aside from the ultra rich doing it just because they can.

• Hover takes tremendous amounts of energy, which we don't have. Try running out of gas 2000 feet in the air.
  • Untrained ordinary people flying around will absolutely crash all over the place. People have no situational awareness in 3D and there's no way air traffic control can track personal flying vehicles. There are no guardrails around buildings. What's to prevent someone from crashing their flying car into a building? Imagine the insurance? Whether intentional or not, there will be carnage.
  • Prototype flying cars are just demonstrators and aren't fully equipped with the heavy stuff that will be necessary for an actual production model.
  • If you have to drive your flying car to an airport to use it, then it's an insane waste of time. It would be faster to drive to an airport and hop on an existing aircraft. Just imagine the taxiway.

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT Crystal Black Silica
480 Posts
Sorry but I think there are reasons why it's not possible aside from the ultra rich doing it just because they can.

• Hover takes tremendous amounts of energy, which we don't have. Try running out of gas 2000 feet in the air.
  • Untrained ordinary people flying around will absolutely crash all over the place. People have no situational awareness in 3D and there's no way air traffic control can track personal flying vehicles. There are no guardrails around buildings. What's to prevent someone from crashing their flying car into a building? Imagine the insurance? Whether intentional or not, there will be carnage.
  • Prototype flying cars are just demonstrators and aren't fully equipped with the heavy stuff that will be necessary for an actual production model.
  • If you have to drive your flying car to an airport to use it, then it's an insane waste of time. It would be faster to drive to an airport and hop on an existing aircraft. Just imagine the taxiway.
Ever consider changing your user ID to SilverOnyxKillerOfDreams?

P.S. I'm with you 100%.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
13,289 Posts

Reactions: jes2

·
Premium Member
2018 OB Limited 2.5
311 Posts
I updated mine yesterday. (Haven’t seen a letter). My maps subscription expires in November and I’m not sure if I will renew it or not.

·
Registered
2021 MGM Outback 2.5i Premium with Tungsten Grey seats
2,834 Posts
I updated mine yesterday. (Haven’t seen a letter). My maps subscription expires in November and I’m not sure if I will renew it or not.

Was that just the maps? Considering the OP included a pic of a 2020+ Outback I have a feeling they were speaking to the core infotainment software that is often complained about in these forums. That update would not apply to your 2018...

·
Registered
2022 Subaru Outback Wilderness
2 Posts
New here. Just purchased a 2022 outback wilderness. Love the vehicle however there are a few frustrating issues. Why do I have to be connected to my home WiFi to do map or software updates? You would think the in car WiFi would do that automatically. Had to leave car running outside garage for couple hours just to do updates.

·
Registered
2021 MGM Outback 2.5i Premium with Tungsten Grey seats
2,834 Posts
Why do I have to be connected to my home WiFi to do map or software updates?
Map updates can be done through USB (and you get the FULL update that way). Software can be updated by the dealer, when a new version is out.

You would think the in car WiFi would do that automatically
I think that's a separate system. The hotspot provides an internet connection to share to other devices, if it's anything like a cell phone you can't both provide and use the hotspot at the same time, and Subaru can't be assured that everyone will have a subscription (I don't). Additionally - the LAST thing they want is for a box to pop up on the screen while driving to indicate an update is ready for install. Oh, and isn't the hotspot a pay-per-GB plan? Subaru can't force you to use that data for software updates.

All this adds up to either using the USB drive method or your home WiFi...

·
Registered
2022 Subaru Outback Wilderness
2 Posts
My Land Rover automatically did the map and software updates automatically with the in car WiFi. I didn't need to be connected to home WiFi. I never had to tap a screen to tell it to download. It was automatic anything there was an update. Never had to worry about updating anything. I also did have the option of downloading to USB as well. I just think there should be that option for those that have activated the in car WiFi.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts