Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi first time Subaru owner here, 2004 outback all-wheel-drive limited edition. Absolutely in love with this car, but I'm having brake issues. The rear brakes and rotors were absolutely gone, and after we replace the rotors and brakes we still had a grinding noise so we took off the emergency brakes and disconnected the cable, apparently the emergency brake hadn't been used in a long time and when I test drove it I froze it up. I still have a bit of a squeal on my rear driver side tire but now I can feel that my front brakes are messed up to, and was wondering if anyone knew whether or not Subaru puts emergency brakes on all four tires because it's an all-wheel drive? If I have to come to a sudden stop the brakes act like the cable is messed up, as in it will catch and start to stop then the cable will let loose for a second then catch again, then let loose and catch again etc. I'm planning on pulling the front wheels off and replacing the rotors and brakes there because I know they're bad but I was wondering if anyone knew about the emergency brakes on the front tires? also wondering what the linkage is above the rear tire that would cause the tire to news back and forth loosely, similar to a bad ball joint in a Dodge? If I knew what the name of the part was I can order it and probably even replace it myself, I've spent a lot of money on this vehicle and do not have the extra money to take it to the dealership unfortunately. Thanks for your help and input.

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,593 Posts
PARKING brake (not really an emergency brake) is only in the rear.

lots of threads here about brkaes - on older/mistreated cars, there can be several 'gotchas' but it's a good system when everything is 'normal'.

Centric makes decent replacement rotors, and Centric PosiQuiet Ceramic pads are also a good choice - probably any name-brand Ceramic pads would be good.

look fro bent or rusted guide pins, if the little rubber bushings on the pins are swollen, you can just leave them off. They react to some brake lubes and swell-up.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts