Subaru Outback Forums banner

what kind of emergency gear do you carry?

• first aid kit?

Votes: 6 50.0%
  • fire extinguisher/flares?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • shovel?

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • tow strap/come along/winch?

Votes: 2 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Outback onsight...
'03outback, '98 forester S lifted m/t's, 4eat, lsd
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what kind of emergency gear do you carry?

I carry : first aid kit, blanket, flares, flashlight, fire extinguisher, tow strap, bow saw(blowdown), maddox(blowdown), shovel(snow), chains(snow), cell phone, frs radios(group travel).
:eek:

·
Tokyo's between my toes
2001 Wintergreen Outback 5MT
6,684 Posts
Sounds like you have me beat, but maybe I'll come in second.

I have flares, a tow strap, and now two 10-foot cables each with a hook at one end and a loop at the other (I made those for a stump removal job). The loop ends of the cables can fit through the tow loops on the OB.

I usually have a bow saw or at least a pruning saw, and usually clippers. Hmm, emergency clippers, yeah... The bow saw (I use a 30-inch) can ride under the cargo mat and you hardly know it's there.

I own a come-a-long since that stump job (for anyone who doesn't know that term, it's one of those hand-cranked winches used for dragging loads, tensioning fences, lifting, etc.) but I don't carry it in the car every day.

I also have a pair of ratcheting straps I can use to secure a load to the roof rack. That lets me haul items that won't fit inside the shell.

·
Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
6,186 Posts
First aid kit, blankets, camp shovel, candles, lighter, tool sack, jumper cables...the usual. Brian

·
Registered
Formerly 04 Outback 3.0R VDC, now 2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS DiD
1,617 Posts
first comment - poll doesn't really work as can't select more than one button at a time...

I always have blanket, first aid kit, cell phone & GPS, for off road I at least add a shovel, drinking water..

·
Registered
2000 Outback Limited Sedan
8 Posts
Handheld cb radio with weather band (cause I hate cell phones), blanket and small sleeping bag, flashlight, lighter, candles, tools, jumper cables, camping shovel, first aid kit.
Because it's -20 to -40 celcius around here in the winter time, I also have a small camping stove (we call it a bleuet in french) with a steam coffee maker.
Don't any of you carry a little bit of emergency munchies??
I always have a can of ground coffee, carnation dehydrated milk, sugar packets, some trail mix, a gallon of water, and a few cans of tuna and chef boy ardee with me...hehe!
All of these things stuffed in a 2x2 foot strapped up case in the trunk of my sedan.
Ohhh...almost forgot.
When I was 16, I flipped the bird to a car full of Lebanese guys because they cut me off......so they ran me off the road and beat the living sh#$ out of me. Ever since then, I have an emergency baseball bat with me wherever I go.
I bet that's one nobody thought of :)

·
Registered
90 Outback Twin Turbo
16 Posts
I carry an in car UHF radio a fire extinguisher, a snatch strap, a shovel, a flat plate, aftermarket jack, flares, a pair of traction plates, 4 D shackles, a first aid kit, a small tool kit, Tape, WD40, puncture repair kit and air compressor and some other stuff. It all fits neatly in the spare wheel hole.

·
Registered
'05 Outback LLBean Ed., 3.0 VDC, 17" Toyo Proxies, Brembo drilled brakes, Goodridge braided lines, Yakima rack. 1 bike: Cannondale
143 Posts
Baseball bat isnt a bad idea, even a smaller one, ... I used to carry nunchakus but since I frequent military installations now, they won't allow any weapons in your vehicle.

I carry bungees, rope, tow rope, heavy duty flashlight, binoculars, gerber tool, first aid kit (threw in a bottle of JackDaniels), flares, drinking water, jumper cables, a couple bandanas, a pair of work gloves, blanket, vice grips, WD-40, moist towelettes, some zip cords, electrical tape, and a fire extinguisher for now.
Winter will require a couple more items.

·
Registered
98 outback 5spd MT, the mighty Huc
509 Posts
what i carry depends on the drive i'm taking. It ranges from a full on, every-thing-i-can-fit kit for long hauls with less populated areas, to just my cell phone.

The 1 thing I always, ALWAYS have in the car, duct tape.

·
Registered
'05 Outback LLBean Ed., 3.0 VDC, 17" Toyo Proxies, Brembo drilled brakes, Goodridge braided lines, Yakima rack. 1 bike: Cannondale
143 Posts
Suby Wan Kenobi - "I carry an in car UHF radio a fire extinguisher, a snatch strap"

OK, I'll bite... what the hec is a "snatch strap", dare I ask.
Something like a ratchet straps, I hope? ;)

·
Registered
13 Posts
LLBean said:
what the hec is a "snatch strap"
A snatch strap looks like a tow strap, except it has some extra stretch woven into it. The idea is that extra spring can help yank a vehicle out of a tough situation, like a mud hole. If you search an off-roading web site, they'll usually explain the technique.

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Elantra GT
798 Posts
Baby wipes, water bottle, sippy cup, extra diapers, Cheerios, stuffed animals, baby blanket, extra onesy outfit.

Hey you didn't specify what kind of emergency!

·
Outback onsight...
'03outback, '98 forester S lifted m/t's, 4eat, lsd
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
When I was 16, I flipped the bird to a car full of Lebanese guys because they cut me off......so they ran me off the road and beat the living sh#$ out of me. Ever since then, I have an emergency baseball bat with me wherever I go.
I bet that's one nobody thought of :) [/B][/QUOTE]

HA! HA!

****, in LA they just shoot you !!! You got off easy!

actually my ice axe is about the most intimadating thing you'll ever see!! looks like a weapon from the bronze age!!!

:eek:

·
Tokyo's between my toes
6,684 Posts
I don't carry a weapon, but a curved pruning saw can serve as one. The back of my left hand shows the signs *G* and I wouldn't like to see what it could do to a neck.

I haven't had a road-rage incident in a few years, since some a-hole in a pickup truck pulled out right in front of me. I flashed my brights, and he got out of his truck and tried to pick a fight in the middle of the road.

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
06 3.0R wagon, 09 WRX
1,007 Posts
A great all around shovel and tool is the USGI entrenching tool. There are Coleman and import copies but the steel just isn't as good. You can actuall sharpen an edge and cut down a good sized tree with one. They fold up very compactly.

You can buy them used on eBay or in many surplus stores.

·
Tokyo's between my toes
6,684 Posts
Well, it's back to carrying an ice scraper in this part of the country...

·
Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
6,186 Posts
Yep, and I added a tow strap to my list of things I carry in the car now.

Brian

·
Registered
96' outback wagon, awd, auto, H4 2.5l, white
15 Posts
1st aid, survival kit, assorted backpacking gear (depending on the upcoming/current/previous trip) rope, flares, 2 tool kits, ratchet set, zip-ties, chicken wire, electrical wire, frisbee, water, oil, rags, tape (duct, electrical, and packing) sleeping bag, trash bags, bungee cords, tire plug kit, foot tire pump, vise grips, jumper cables, assorted food, assorted automotive fluids depending on the maintinence/problem of the week, big mean steel beat-down flashlight, led shake light, work clothes/change of clothes/coveralls depending on the time, hose clamps, haynes guide, ear plugs, 40 chanel cb if i ever get around to installing it in this car, hatchet or kukri, and a scandinum .357 mag if i ever go and get my carry permit :p

hey, what are those pockets on the sides of the cargo bay for originally? all mine had in them was the sicissor jack when i got the car

·
Registered
107 Posts
Fire extinguisher??

Just a thought. Towed a trailer quite a bit with my 2006 OB. Real life incidents. Two, one while towing a boat down to Mexico and rear right tire on 4wd heavy duty pick up caught fire going over the Grapevine in southern California. Truck had 75 gallons in long range tanks, boat had 150 gallons. Tires are hard to extinguish when burning. Water will not do it. Fire extinguisher saved day for car and boat. Second incident, exploding pump up white gas stove in Tahoe area in driest part of summer, 50' swath fire started in leaves. Without extinguisher, would have been major fire. So, thread has made me rethink fire extinguisher which I always carried in my older landcruiser for 315K miles.

·
Registered
2009 2.5i, H4, Auto.
842 Posts
Baby wipes, water bottle, sippy cup, extra diapers, Cheerios, stuffed animals, baby blanket, extra onesy outfit.

Hey you didn't specify what kind of emergency!

Ain't that the truth! I've got an "emergency diaper bag" in one of the rear side compartments. Come in handy on a few occasions. Need to go though and up date the diapers in it. They are a bit small.

I also have a first aid kit, a cheap socket & wrench set, and some of those reflector triangles. Flares are not allowed where I work.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts