1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Outback, 2.5l, Manual
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

1997 outback 2.5l.

My indicators work fine but when I try to switch on the hazards they are not working.

Any ideas please?

George

·
Registered
19,398 Posts
Although most of the circuitry, including the Hazard switch, is common to both the turn signals and the hazard signals, there are separate fuses for each. If the turn signals work correctly, this would isolate the problem to what's unique to the Hazard function and that includes the separate fuse. The fuse for the Hazard lights is in the in-cabin fuse panel (15 Amps, possibly #22). It also powers the AT shift lock control module, key warning switch, and the power antenna, so if the fuse is blown, these also might not be working.

If the fuse is blown, replace it with the same size fuse only. (Although fuses sometimes fail due to aging, more often than not they fail because of a problem in the circuit they're meant to protect. Consequently, the replacement should not be greater. If the replacement fuse blows, there's a short in the circuit and more troubleshooting will be needed.)

Let us know what you find . . .

·
Registered
1997 Outback, 2.5l, Manual
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thread is now closed - Fixed

Let's start by saying that I am a D*ckhead.

Hazard lights do work....especially if I TURN THEM ON BY THE CORRECT SWITCH!

You guys know the switch on top of the steering column, the one that, ahem, 'looks like a hazard light switch like on any normal car'?

Well, as many of you will know (and I didn't) that this operates the parking lights. The hazard lights work by using the triangular button on the dash.......

Well, if ever there is a case of 'if it doesn't work, read the instructions'.....

What a putz I am.....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts