Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a dash cluster for a 1996 Legacy Outback.

Part says its for a 2.2, I have a 2.5L, place i bought it from says they are interchangeable.

Subaru said no (because they have different part numbers).

One dealership said they should but it would be a waste of his time to check for me.

One dealership said they dont look like they will.

Are they 100% interchangeable (look exactly the same) since the clusters change some signals internally I am lost?

The part numbers are:

(from Subaru)

2.2L = 85012ac041
2.5L = 85012ac531

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would think there may be a differrence in auto or manual, but the wiring diagram for both engines comes up identical.

Check with these guys: http://www.partswebsite.com/subarup...d=30174&subcatid=32344&section=123&type=parts
when i looked up the part numbers earlier, that site has both and there is quite a difference in price between the two.

when i decode the vin for the one (i got the vin with the part) the only difference i see is automatic seatbelts and the 2.2L.

·
Registered
01 Outback H6 VDC, 97 GT wgn w/ ej22, 98 OBW w/ej22
1,401 Posts
the engine has nothing to do with it.

the trans is what defines the speedo. actually the speedo gears in the trans.

the wheel / tire size dictates how the speedo reads.
typically, the outback and the legacy have different ''faceplates'' on the speedo to allow for the difference in the tire size. (outback tire is 2'' larger in diameter.)

so if the part you bought is for a 96 2.2L 5 speed outback. it should work on a 96 2.5L auto outback. if the face plates both go to 140, or even 120, as long as they are the same, it should work.

anything else and it will read wrong. about 15% wrong. roughly 10 mph at 65.

BTW, the GT speedo is so different it has an odd wire connector so you can not swap it in.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the engine has nothing to do with it.

the trans is what defines the speedo. actually the speedo gears in the trans.

the wheel / tire size dictates how the speedo reads.
typically, the outback and the legacy have different ''faceplates'' on the speedo to allow for the difference in the tire size. (outback tire is 2'' larger in diameter.)

so if the part you bought is for a 96 2.2L 5 speed outback. it should work on a 96 2.5L auto outback. if the face plates both go to 140, or even 120, as long as they are the same, it should work.

anything else and it will read wrong. about 15% wrong. roughly 10 mph at 65.

BTW, the GT speedo is so different it has an odd wire connector so you can not swap it in.
ok, I am/was just concerned since I heard that the Vehicle Speed Sensor signal runs to the speedo/cluster and is converted to a different signal and relayed to the ECM, I didnt know if the info which comes out of the cluster of the 2.2L would be different than that of the 2.5L cluster.

Here is the info of the 2.2 vin

Model: Legacy
Make: Subaru
Manufacturer: Subaru Isuzu Automotive Inc.
Model year: 1996
Country (Region): not assigned (North America)
Plant: Lafayette, In
Fewer than 500 per year: NO
Body style: 2nd gen. non-raised-roof Legacy Wagon
Body type: 4 Door Wagon
Doors: 4 door
Driveline: All Wheel Drive
Engine capacity: 130HP
Engine code: 2200cc / 2.2L AWD
Engine series: B4, 2.2L; SOHC
Fuel type: Gasoline
Line: Legacy/Baja
Safety restraints: Dual Air Bag; Active Belts
Transmission type: AWD 4EAT
Vehicle type: Passenger Car

My 2.5L vin info:

Model: Legacy Wagon
Make (Manufacturer): Subaru
Model year: 1996
Country (Region): not assigned (North America)
Plant: Subaru-Isuzu of America
Fewer than 500 per year: NO
Anti-brake system: 4-Wheel ABS
Body style: WAGON 4-DR
Brake - front: Disc
Brake - rear: Disc
Consumption in the city: 20 miles/gallon / 11.8 liters/100 km
Consumption on the highway: 26 miles/gallon / 9.0 liters/100 km
Curb weight: 3080 lbs / 1400.0 kg
Doors: station wagon
Driveline: FWD
Engine capacity: 4 Cylinder, 2.5 L
Engine code: 2500cc / 2.5L AWD
Engine series: 4-Cyl. 2.5L
Engine type: 2.5L H4 DOHC 16V
Fuel tank: 15.90 gallon / 60.2 liter
Fuel type: Gasoline
Line: Legacy/Baja
Overall height: 63.00 in / 160.0 cm
Overall length: 185.80 in / 471.9 cm
Overall width: 67.50 in / 171.5 cm
Safety restraints: Manual Seat Belt w/ Driver/Passenger Air Bags
Standard seating: 5
Steering Type: R&P
Tires: 205/70R15
Transmission: 4-Speed Automatic Overdrive
Transmission type: AWD 4EAT
Trim level: Outback
Wheelbase: 103.50 in / 262.9 cm

·
Registered
2005 OBW 2.5L, 1989 Subaru Justy, RIP Blu
7,355 Posts
I would just plug it in and use a free smart phone ap or borrow a gps to check to make sure the spedo works properly, but really it has never come up before so I dont think it is an issue. I am sure you will tell us but it usually never is.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would just plug it in and use a free smart phone ap or borrow a gps to check to make sure the spedo works properly, but really it has never come up before so I dont think it is an issue. I am sure you will tell us but it usually never is.
Ok, I will hook it up tomorrow.

I have an ELM327 and the Torque app so I could use that:29:

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Did the speedometer quit?

This is "rigging", but apparently it works https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=f8ftCO5cm8o
No the speedo works, I am still trying to figure out why the darn thing runs poorly at times.

Since the previous owner disabled the check engine and oil warning light I cannot tell exactly at what moment the codes are being thrown so it will help diagnose and allow me to have the needed warning lights.

I am also thinking there may be an issue with the cluster possibly sending incorrect signals to the ECM.

I only have a couple more things that can be causeing the issues/codes I am getting, from what I have read.

Its either the cluster (which needed replacing either way), wiring between cluster and ECM or the ECM itself. (at least thats the conclusion I have come to by reading up on the issue).

I keep getting the knock sensor, VSS and neutral safety codes I posted in my other thread and its putting the vehicle into limp mode.

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
15,488 Posts
Yeah. Gotcha. I read too much and don't always recall the OP in threads that tend to wander into other threads on the same issue.

Except CNY_Dave. He's all over the place with his. :D

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah. Gotcha. I read too much and don't always recall the OP in threads that tend to wander into other threads on the same issue.

Except CNY_Dave. He's all over the place with his. :D
Yeah I made a separate thread for this so those who may have done cluster swaps would see it and be able to advise one way or the other.

I will be continuing on in my other thread tomorrow, or be back here saying my ECM shot through the floor when i hooked up the 2.2 cluster :D

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok car didnt blow up, but I do have another issue now.....

See my other post "I screwed the pooch"

Thx for the info guys.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts