Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Outback, 148k miles
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
GEN 3 Outback. In Virginia. How do you look at the VIN and know if it is Federal Emissions or California emissions. Ordered a BOSAL Catalytic converter and y pipe. (exhaust manifold) Figured in VA, order Federal, but it has three sensor ports. Pre and post cat, then post cat on the second body. Existing set up is 2 sensors. Do I use this one and plug the one after the second converter body? Or am I a California set up?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
I have heard that ALL new vehicles sold in USA are CA emmissions. The CA emmissions Subies have a tag saying "PZEV" on the rear. (Partial Zero Emmissions Vehicle)

QUESTION: Why in the world are you removing a component which is WARANTEED for 12year/150K miles to replace it with an aftermarket part which may be waranteed for 1/4 that time?

·
Premium Member
2016 Tungsten Outback 2.5l Premium w/ES, OP 14, PP #4
467 Posts
His profile says it's a 2005 however conflicts with GEN 5 in opening statement.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
25,426 Posts
what year is this car exactly.

and look under the hood at the hood label, and the build plate on the shock tower in front of the driver of a US spec car. Both places detail if " California (Northeast/ Northwest) clean air states emissions compliant"

·
Brucey
'17 3.6 Limited
9,965 Posts
what year is this car exactly.

and look under the hood at the hood label, and the build plate on the shock tower in front of the driver of a US spec car. Both places detail if " California (Northeast/ Northwest) clean air states emissions compliant"
I'm not sure that plate is on the Gen 4/5.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
25,426 Posts
I'm not sure that plate is on the Gen 4/5.
If the member does have a 2005 it is there and its very very important.
(clean air spec 2005 had symmetrical exhaust with different cats,
kind of nicer than the stupid things they went to with the bloated things all the rest of the 2005-09 EJ253 had,

....but the one year spec like the EJ259 2004 parts makes them expensive if one actually needs to "buy" them.

·
Registered
2005 Outback, 148k miles
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
GEN 5 Outback. In Virginia. How do you look at the VIN and know if it is Federal Emissions or California emissions. Ordered a BOSAL Catalytic converter and y pipe. (exhaust manifold) Figured in VA, order Federal, but it has three sensor ports. Pre and post cat, then post cat on the second body. Existing set up is 2 sensors. Do I use this one and plug the one after the second converter body? Or am I a California set up?

Thanks
MY BAD, should have posted to GEN 3. Way too tired when I posted it.

Thanks anyhow.

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Limited, VF37, STI intake, 5MT
1,335 Posts
The existing sounds like a Federal setup while the new one does not (or for a different year). Which Bosal number did you order?

If it was Bosal 096195, then that's correct. It looks like most aftermarket versions are using a rear converter that has an integrated sensor port. Likely because it's easier/cheaper than making a 100% OE replacement.

Leave the rearmost port (near the doughnut flange) plugged and just run the two ports at the front.

·
Registered
2005 Outback, 148k miles
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the corrections and the input. Mentally merged 2005 and Gen 3. Figured that would be the fix, plan to plug it with one of the old sensors.

Did the head gaskets last April, my first engine pull. Working the rear wheel bearings right now, the exhaust is next.

This car ws bought to let all three of my girls learn how to drive. Liked being able to work on it so much, I bought a matching 2005 for the college sophomore take to school this year. And it is destined to become my drive to work/crowded parking lot/careless moron coworkers so my new F150 stays nice.

Thanks for any and all comments.

·
Registered
2008 Subaru Outback Base. 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i. 2013 Harely-Davidson FLHTK.
717 Posts
Thanks for the corrections and the input. Mentally merged 2005 and Gen 3. Figured that would be the fix, plan to plug it with one of the old sensors.

Did the head gaskets last April, my first engine pull. Working the rear wheel bearings right now, the exhaust is next.

This car ws bought to let all three of my girls learn how to drive. Liked being able to work on it so much, I bought a matching 2005 for the college sophomore take to school this year. And it is destined to become my drive to work/crowded parking lot/careless moron coworkers so my new F150 stays nice.

Thanks for any and all comments.
Get an oil drain plug of the same size and thread pitch to plug the extra sensor bung.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks BTIBob, important to note that the 05 Outback plug is not the right size and pitch, or NAPA screwed up the look up. I cut the top off an old O2 sensor and used it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The existing sounds like a Federal setup while the new one does not (or for a different year). Which Bosal number did you order?

If it was Bosal 096195, then that's correct. It looks like most aftermarket versions are using a rear converter that has an integrated sensor port. Likely because it's easier/cheaper than making a 100% OE replacement.

Leave the rearmost port (near the doughnut flange) plugged and just run the two ports at the front.
Thanks going with that. It was the one that I ordered.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts