1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
I think the problem is being exaggerated. It's a problem with the human element in charge of certifying the results, or their "superior" - nothing higher up the food chain like the Audi/VW issue was.

This is also only 903 cars like you said - totally negligible. While it is disheartening to see this happen, you're talking a fraction of a percent of vehicles sold. (They've sold over 9 million vehicles now, which means the 903 is miniscule.)

The difference here would have been, I think, if the higher-ups decided to cover up the data, which they did not do.

·
Banned
6,264 Posts
I think the problem is being exaggerated. It's a problem with the human element in charge of certifying the results, or their "superior" - nothing higher up the food chain like the Audi/VW issue was.

This is also only 903 cars like you said - totally negligible. While it is disheartening to see this happen, you're talking a fraction of a percent of vehicles sold. (They've sold over 9 million vehicles now, which means the 903 is miniscule.)

The difference here would have been, I think, if the higher-ups decided to cover up the data, which they did not do.
903 is probably a wild azz guess since Subaru only has data going back to 2012. Which in and of itself I consider to be a bigger issue. Subaru should have more than 6 years worth of data.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,566 Posts
moved thread, updated title.

·
Super Moderator
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
6,984 Posts
There are two effects here - my opinion only:

1. There is a heightened awareness of such issues due to VW / Audi being outed on their diesel scandal a couple years ago, and everyone is turning over rocks to see what they can find. The article stated the investigation was done at the request of he Japanese government, not because pf any specific knowledge of problems.

2. VW / Audi is the world's largest automaker, and they command a lot of clout with presence and advertising dollars. They would love nothing more than a continued "buzz" in the news regarding real and alleged misbehaviors of their competitors, no matter how small or insignificant they are relative to VW's massive and intentional corporate and individual crimes - anything like that diverts the spotlight and attention away from them. News media are more than happy to oblige them, sometimes unknowingly, and we have seen a continuous release of such "news" from even respectable outlets.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts