Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,151 Posts
Would I be able to find this particular nut at a home store (home depot, lowes) or would I have to order this from Subaru. It's an M10 flange nut that fits on the bolt that connects the end link to the control arm (lower right corner). Thank you.
Its a simple grade 8 or 10, whatever you can find, flange nut, My Ace Hardware has them in scores. M8 x 1.25 is the metric size.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,491 Posts
Its a simple grade 8 or 10, whatever you can find, flange nut, My Ace Hardware has them in scores. M8 x 1.25 is the metric size.
guaranteed to be strong enough to carry a 4000 lb car with human(s) and dog(s) without breaking?

·
Registered
2012 OB , 2017 Impreza
3,365 Posts
guaranteed to be strong enough to carry a 4000 lb car with human(s) and dog(s) without breaking?
Nothing is 'guaranteed'... but grade8 is grade8.

If one is paranoid... order from dealership and pay 20x the price for same grade nut. Peace of mind is important too :)

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,491 Posts

·
Premium Member
'03 outback limited, '01 Outback Limited, '01 Legacy L wagon, '96 Legacy Brighton wagon
2,365 Posts
"Grade 8" is not always really a Grade 8 - too much real junk coming out of China and India sold at local hardware stores that is not even commercial grade. Lots of counterfeit brand name stuff out there as well.

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,151 Posts
"Grade 8" is not always really a Grade 8 - too much real junk coming out of China and India sold at local hardware stores that is not even commercial grade. Lots of counterfeit brand name stuff out there as well.
That is why I shop at ACE hardware and I check their sourcing. Fasenal and McMaster Carr are great online sources.

·
Premium Member
'03 outback limited, '01 Outback Limited, '01 Legacy L wagon, '96 Legacy Brighton wagon
2,365 Posts
MSC is also very good - I buy all of my socket head cap screws from there - Unbrako only - with Holocrome from McMaster as my second choice. My bolt use is all for race cars, so reliable quality is rather important.

If you get into using flat head or button head cap screws, stick with Unbrako - their sockets are much deeper than those from Holocrome or pretty much anyone else, which greatly reduces rounding out either the Allen wrench or the socket - flat heads and button heads can be a real bitch to break loose!

·
Registered
1999 30th Anniversary Legacy Outback DOHC 2.5L 4EAT, 2008 Impreza WRX 2.5L 5MT, 2008 Impreza Wagon 2.5L 4EAT
1,224 Posts
Most auto stores carry some variations of flange nuts with different availability at each store. NAPA has a good selection in my area. Ace is my normal go to store for miscellaneous metric hardware.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'll second the recommendation of Fastenal and MSC for fasteners. They are professional grade suppliers that I use on a daily basis at work. I'll also throw in a recommendation of Vibra-Tite as a threadlocking compound. It stands up much better than red Loctite.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts