Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2019 3.6 Touring & 2018 H6 Limited. Previously also owned a number of Outbacks.
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To change the engine air filter on the 2.5i, I loosen the 2 collar clamps & take out the center section connecting the airbox with the engine, then undo clamps on the airbox, no need to unclip that Mass Air 'thing' - 2-3mins. :cool:

For 4th generation 3.6 it seems that I can loosen the clamp next to the airbox but the other end is hidden underneath that giant plastic cover. Any tips on the quickest way to have it changed? I haven't tried it yet & just curious. It's best if you there is a video to share!

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2019 3.6 Touring & 2018 H6 Limited. Previously also owned a number of Outbacks.
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
SOLUTION POSTED

I figured it out... engine filter replacement is easier on the newer Outbacks. For the 4 cyl, instead of taking out the entire mid section of the intake, just unscrew the collar next to the filter box, pull the filter box open & replace - it took me 30 secs to replace the engine air filter on my wife's car. Other than replacing filters (both engine & cabin) I leave everything to the dealer... that's the least I can do because on the new Outback they are SUPER EASY. Cabin filter change takes like a min...:)

For the 6 cyl, it took me about 5 mins... same as 4 cyl but the trick is that in order to move the air intake out of the way you must take off the plastic engine cover. Pull on upper right & left of the cover to release then pull slightly downward towards yourself to release cover. I spent about 3mins to put the cover back...that's the most difficult part. :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts