Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

Last week, I notice some kind of knocking noise coming from the driver's side engine. Took the car to the dealer... and surprise, they dismantled the engine and maybe, the will have to change the bloc! :surprise: I have to say that the service in Granby Subaru is 5 stars. Really. :29:

The car is an Outback 2017 manual transmission with ONLY 11 200 miles (18 000 km) on it. I do mainly highway or secondary road, no speeding.

Have you heard about similar story?

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,306 Posts
Without knowing what is actually wrong...no. Not possible to have idea about anything like that.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
02 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,200 Posts
how many oil changes since new and at what intervals in miles/kms?

are they changing the "short block" and reusing your original heads, (possibly rebuilding the heads)?

or are they going to drop in a whole new engine?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
how many oil changes since new and at what intervals in miles/kms?
Two oil change. one at 8k and the other one at 16k following Subaru recommandations.

are they changing the "short block" and reusing your original heads, (possibly rebuilding the heads)? or are they going to drop in a whole new engine?
At that point, I don't know. They haven't identified the problem yet.

Personally , I would prefer to have a new engine... or even better, a 2018 new OB!!

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,391 Posts
Have you heard about similar story?
I have a better question. Do you think any company has ever produced millions of vehicles without one low mileage failure?

That's impossible.

All 7 digit unit production manufacturers are going to see a small percentage of low mileage failures. Buying from a "better" company reduces those statistics, not avoids them.

·
Registered
5,877 Posts
Two oil change. one at 8k and the other one at 16k following Subaru recommandations.

At that point, I don't know. They haven't identified the problem yet.

Personally , I would prefer to have a new engine... or even better, a 2018 new OB!!
Warranty only covers what needs to be repaired.

If an '18 is more to your liking get fixed then trade it in....no big deal.

Reactions: Pilot1226

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a better question. Do you think any company has ever produced millions of vehicles without one low mileage failure?

That's impossible.

All 7 digit unit production manufacturers are going to see a small percentage of low mileage failures. Buying from a "better" company reduces those statistics, not avoids them.
I 100% agree with you . I don't say that Subaru is crap. But, it is surely unusual. Guess I am THAT lucky guy among others....

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
6,139 Posts
At the end of the day, you will have an engine that has been thoroughly examined and professionally re-assembled by someone who knows what they are doing. They have to warrant it for the remaining time / miles left on the warranty, after all.

And it will have 11,200 less miles on it than the rest of the car.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Forester Premium, Crystal Black Silica, Pkg 15
1,727 Posts
I second the 18's. They're nice, with the CarPlay and everything. Even though the 3.6R forces you into the CVT, the delivery is nice. 90% of peak torque available between 2k-6k with the CVT on the 3.6 engine..... Pucker factor!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Subaru suspect a surplus of silicone that would have clogged an oil duct causing a lack of lubrication an internal component... :confused: Finally, I have an almost new engine. Brand new short block but they will use the original head and all other things.

·
Registered
2017 OB Limited 3.6
114 Posts
I had a short block put into my 1996 Toyota Camry in my first year of ownership. Went on to roll up 330,000 miles with no major issues before I retired it.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,391 Posts
I 100% agree with you . I don't say that Subaru is crap. But, it is surely unusual. Guess I am THAT lucky guy among others....
Got it, was hoping you weren't getting too caught up in the frustration and inconvenience which i'm sorry you've got to go through.

that kind of stuff is the kind of data i'd love to get my hands on - how many major mechanical engine/trans failures particular model engines have?

the following is a joke...

Doesn't the manual and Subaru call for 6,000 mile changes?

oil related engine failure, under warranty, and oil changes beyond subaru spec's...the warranty denial speculators are cringing while the "let Subaru do everything" people are applauding. haha

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,391 Posts
I see you're a new user, I've PM'ed you. I rarely do but i should see a reply or you can email me.

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Outback, 2002 Audi S4 Avant, 1980 CB750F Supersport, 1985 Carrera 3.2
568 Posts
Doesn't the manual and Subaru call for 6,000 mile changes?
I believe he was referring to kilometers; his first post says it currently has "11,200 miles (18,000 km)".

Curious what the dealer tells you is wrong with it, please keep us updated.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
when I says 8k I meant 8000 km instead of the 10 000 km indicated in the manual. I think that 10 000 km is about 6000 miles. So, my oil changes are done at 5000 miles! :)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The dealer told me 10 000 km is ok. It is only to avoid the oil warning light cause by the 1 liter/10 000 km consumption on the 5th gen 2.5 engine. What I will do, is either ad 1 liter of oil if required and do the oil changes as indicated in the manual or don't bother with the warning ... I prefer the first option!

·
On the Super Mod Squad
02 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,200 Posts
1 - 20 of 26 Posts