Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Outback
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at a 2013 Subaru Outback and was wondering if any of you stereo fanatics might be aware of any easy to get to places where I can run a 8 or 4 guage power wire into the interior cabin area from the battery?

The reason I was asking is that I am a avid Amateur Radio operator and was going to be installing multiple radios into this vehicle so I use car stereo power cable and power splitters to power my radios.

Currently in my old car I have 4 guage wire from the battery to Rockford Fossgate splitter which allows me to get 1 - 4guage wire in and 4 - 8 to 10 guage wires out to the radio or accessories such as RF amplifiers, laptop computer...

Thank you,

Jacob Tennant

·
Registered
2012 OB 2.5i Limited
46 Posts
Jacob,

Make sure you keep us up on your ham install, theres plenty of us around here that would be interested. I am putting a Yaesu FT-90R right now...

Mike

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i Limited w/ Eyesight (Graphite Grey)
10 Posts
I would also like info on a radio installation. I have a TS-480SAT that I would like to install if feasible.

·
Registered
'13 OB, Black, SAP
271 Posts
I have a 2013 3.6R Auto, to the left of the brake fluid res there is a oval rubber grommet, in the picture I provided it would be in place of the circled wire grommet that I installed. Gives you big access hole to the cabin. Hope that helps.

I am looking at a 2013 Subaru Outback and was wondering if any of you stereo fanatics might be aware of any easy to get to places where I can run a 8 or 4 guage power wire into the interior cabin area from the battery?

The reason I was asking is that I am a avid Amateur Radio operator and was going to be installing multiple radios into this vehicle so I use car stereo power cable and power splitters to power my radios.

Currently in my old car I have 4 guage wire from the battery to Rockford Fossgate splitter which allows me to get 1 - 4guage wire in and 4 - 8 to 10 guage wires out to the radio or accessories such as RF amplifiers, laptop computer...

Thank you,

Jacob Tennant

Attachments

·
Registered
2013 Outback
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
PERFECT!!!

That is exactly what I was looking for.

As for the ham radio install, I will be installing my FT857D with the remote head somewhere on the front dash area. Motorola Maxtrac hidden somewhere for APRS. My NEXUS7 tablet on the dash area for APRS. Lastly some configuration of VHF and UHF loop antennas for VHF contesting as a rover.

Pictures/website address will be posted as we go along.

73's WF8S

·
Registered
2009 Outback 2.5i manual. 103,000 miles. My very first!
29 Posts
That's exactly where I ran my power cable through the firewall. It worked out great! I'd recommend using a large screw driver to punch a hole (rather than drill) in the rubber plug to retain its weather proof-ness. I also used some WD40 to lubricate the cable.

·
Registered
'13 OB, Black, SAP
271 Posts
What has always worked for me was utilizing a wire/metal object much smaller in diameter to the cable being ran, heat it up and slide it right through. Being that I did not want to put a hole through the OEM rubber (dont ask why I have issues) I ordered a wire grommett it works great.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Once I get the wire through that location, do I need to disassemble the dash to find the wire? I'd like to run the wire to a 2M/440 radio that I'd like to install under the driver's seat. Has anybody done that?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts