Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
98 legacy outback
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i had the classic head gasket failure in my 98 outback. i swapped everything from my EJ25 onto a JDM EJ20 block and it works really well. the only thing i had to get modified was the EGR valve pipe. it had to be routed to the exhaust to make the check engine light go out because there is no port for it in the head in the foreign models.

the only complaints i have is the power issue. while the car is way faster than my 93 loyale, id rather have more power. does anyone know any new subaru engines that would work with the transmission in the older outbacks? theres a subaru baja engine at the auto recycler with less than 10k that i want but dont know if it will work. someones had to of slapped a EJ20 turbo or newer EJ25 because the piston slap/headgasket issue but i've yet to find the help im looking for.

thank you so much in advance.

·
Tokyo's between my toes
2001 Wintergreen Outback 5MT
6,684 Posts
I want to know the same thing, my 98 is down for a head gasket and I'd like to put a 99 in it in hopes of avoiding that problem again.

·
Super Moderator
2007 Outback H6 LL Bean - Champagne Gold Opal
6,009 Posts
I haven't seen too much discussion about swapping here at sob.org, and as much as I hate to refer people elsewhere, I HAVE seen said discussions at both scoobymods.com and nasioc.com's outback forum.
Check 'em out and come back here and tell us what you find.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts