Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Outback XT and a 2003 WRX
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all! I have an 06 Outback XT Limited. I've been getting a solid engine light with a blinking cruise control light. Subaru dealer told me its a compression issue in cyl. 1 and to fix it would mean taking the engine out, cleaning out carbon build up and/or replacing/cleaning the valves. I only have 110,000 miles on it! I know its 12 years old but I have an 03 WRX with no issues. Is this normal or to be expected at its age? Anything I can do short of dumping thousands in to take the engine out? I guess I'm curious how long/far I can drive with this issue? It drives fine other than the fact that it does idle somewhat low when stopped...almost like its going to stall but not all the time.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,619 Posts
I think you should pursue another opinion.

when were the sparkplugs last changed?

when was the timing belt system serviced?

·
Registered
2006 Outback XT and a 2003 WRX
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input! Timing belt was changed last year, spark plugs too. Coils were checked and are fine. I think dealer said error code looked like cyl1 misfire but upon inspection with vacuum test it looks like compression which he said was probably carbon buildup. Also, interesting to note that I'm starting to noticed leaking oil. Also learned how fast it seems to burn oil which I heard was a common problem with oubacks in this year range.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,619 Posts
Is there carbon build-up on that plug? Are you using the gasoline grade suggested by the manual?

could be turbo seals.....the pipe can be dropped and turbo shaft play inspected.

maybe find an independent soob-friendly shop. They may be more interested in doing good diagnostics and explaining the cars condition to you. Doesn't mean the news won't still be bad, it just seems to me you don't have any specifics.

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,306 Posts
^^^ this.

Also, don't drive it. Turbo's are great fun, but they go from minor problem to boat anchor quickly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts