Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Outback 2.5i & 2018 2.5i Premium
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2010 Outback - 2.5i limited - 4th Vin letter B

So I finished the timing belt change, changing almost everything including the water pump and thermostat. I added the conditioner and the coolant, started it up this morning, and let it run waiting for the fans to click on it. It idled at around 1000RPM the FSM says under 2000RPMs until the fan kicks on, so I waited. While I was waiting I kept seeing a puff of steam come up on the middle of the engine. I Went under and looked and the dripping was coming from the heater by-pass hose (Part number 807615182) attached to the water pump thermostat outlet. It's dripping about every 2-3 seconds onto the hot pipe below making the steam. When I was taking out the water pump the hose was very hard to get off and was a bit hard and seemed "Crunchy" when I squeezed it. I'm assuming it's a bad hose and needs to be replaced.

The questions are:
1) Should I use Subaru OEM hose for it or will a Dayco or other aftermarket supplier work?
2) Do I need to drain all the new coolant I just put in?
3) If it needs to be drained, do I do it from the radiator drain or just pull the bigger coolant hose off the water pump?
4) Can I reuse all that new coolant and conditioner I just put in and ran through the car for about 15 minutes?
5) Lastly, should I buy any specific hose clamp for it, like the screw kind over the squeeze kind?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2006 WX8, 59E
1,235 Posts
The loss of coolant when replacing the hose can be minimized with some careful planning. For example, the metal nipples can be temporarily closed off with vacuum caps. The size is likely 5/8", but an assortment is always handy. I woud suggest using factory hose, just to minimize extra labor, and new factory spring clamps.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The loss of coolant when replacing the hose can be minimized with some careful planning. For example, the metal nipples can be temporarily closed of with vacuum caps. The size is likely 5/8", but an assortment is always handy. I woud suggest using factory hose, just to minimize extra labor, and new factory spring clamps.
Sounds good. I'm assuming Ace Hardware or Lowes to pick those up?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes. I have a bigger set in a plastic box, but only few sizes are useful. Amazon also shows a "bypass cap set" 02253 under that item. That one looks like it has what you need.
I got a plug from ACE we tested got on the hose but it wouldn’t fit the hole when I took the hose off. SPLASH!!! Anyway….. lol….. is there a trick to installing heater by pass hose like top first bottom second or vice verse? I can’t seem to find it in the field service manual.

·
Registered
2006 WX8, 59E
1,235 Posts
Sorry to hear that. There's no trick other than maybe pre-applying some silicone grease to make the hose go on easier. But I don't remember it being very tight.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts