Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6R
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today while cleaning my month-old car, I decided to check out the engine. I applied what I thought was a conservative amount of force to lift off the engine cover. Turns out, I was apparently a 400lb gorilla.

If I had RTFM, I would have known to lift first from the rear, but I didn’t. So, now I have an engine cover with two busted front clips that almost certainly wouldn’t stay put heading down the road.

So the question becomes, is this rather fancy bit of plastic purely cosmetic or does it do something? Seems to have some sound dampening material on the underside, I suppose I’ll find out tomorrow if it’s now loud as heck inside the cabin, or if I’ve somehow dropped 50hp from one less badge.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6R
84 Posts
So today while cleaning my month-old car, I decided to check out the engine. I applied what I thought was a conservative amount of force to lift off the engine cover. Turns out, I was apparently a 400lb gorilla.

If I had RTFM, I would have known to lift first from the rear, but I didn’t. So, now I have an engine cover with two busted front clips that almost certainly wouldn’t stay put heading down the road.

So the question becomes, is this rather fancy bit of plastic purely cosmetic or does it do something? Seems to have some sound dampening material on the underside, I suppose I’ll find out tomorrow if it’s now loud as heck inside the cabin, or if I’ve somehow dropped 50hp from one less badge.
Would be curious to see a pic of the front clips...thx for the heads up on lifting from the back. Wow, so no actual fasteners. Sorry you are too powerful.:grin2:

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6 Touring/crystal white pearl
12 Posts
Just did an oil change today and having read a previous thread on how to pop off the plastic cover all went well. I stuck my hand underneath the back of the cover and felt around until I found where it attached and actually pushed each side from underneath then lifted slightly and slid to the front and lifted. The front rubber grommets were chewed up even though this is the first time the cover has been removed. I have 1,184 miles on it today.

·
Registered
2017 3.6R Limited with Eye Sight
658 Posts
I'm afraid to remove mine.

Could someone post a video on how to do it without breaking it?

·
Premium Member
2015 Legacy 3.6R ES, 2014 Forester Touring ES, 2005 Jeep Liberty Limited
3,239 Posts
It mainly cosmetic. It does help to keep the engine clean.
All might not be loss. If you still have some of the lip left just wrap Duck Tape around the rubber boots (paint it Black if you like) then carefully reinstall. It should hold just fine.

Laughing at Oneself and with Others is Good for the Soul

·
Premium Member
3,239 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,239 Posts
I'm afraid to remove mine.

Could someone post a video on how to do it without breaking it?
:RTFM:

·
Registered
2016 Outback 3.6 Ltd Red/ES,20 mm RSB
353 Posts

If you still have a warranty - talk to your dealer if not http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/138-gen-5-2015-present/419858-broken-engine-cover-3-6r-2.html

·
Registered
77 Posts
When I got mine the rear two "pins" were broken off. I JB welded them onto the cover and its solid now.

Also on my 10 3.6R the fronts dont really lock in, just seem to float on the pads, have a pic of yours?

·
Registered
2017 3.6R Limited with Eye Sight
658 Posts
:RTFM:

I did read the manual.

So did a lot of people who broke their covers.

So clearly, reading the manual is not sufficient in this particular instance.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts