Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I got a 2003 outback 2.5 limited and I'd like more power under the hood. Could a flat 6 (H6) 3.0 EZ30 fit? What else could possibly fit in there? Thanks

·
Registered
Outbacks, SVXs, XT6, 4Runner, Celica, Brat, E150s
603 Posts
H6s came in these....so yes, it'll fit. They bolt right in.

Any Subaru engine you can think of will "fit".

I've seen GM LS V8s, Toyota UZ V8s, JZ Straight 6s. Subaru's have a pretty forgiving sized engine bay. It's "just" a matter of building mounts, plumbing fluids, and connecting wires.

Of course, getting it to fit is the easy part. If you just want a 2003 H6 Outback, just sell your 2.5 and buy one with a 3.0, doing an engine swap is an enormous amount of work. Building a car that exists from the factory is generally not a good idea.

·
Banned
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
H6s came in these....so yes, it'll fit. They bolt right in.

Any Subaru engine you can think of will "fit".

I've seen GM LS V8s, Toyota UZ V8s, JZ Straight 6s. Subaru's have a pretty forgiving sized engine bay. It's "just" a matter of building mounts, plumbing fluids, and connecting wires.

Of course, getting it to fit is the easy part. If you just want a 2003 H6 Outback, just sell your 2.5 and buy one with a 3.0, doing an engine swap is an enormous amount of work. Building a car that exists from the factory is generally not a good idea.
Cheers mate! Yeah, I thought it would fit because they do produce it with the H6 like you said, I just wasn't sure if maybe the H6 model was wider or details of the sort. If I could buy one with a 6 I would but I can't find any for sale in good shape.

·
Registered
Outback 2011 3.6R Premium
1,209 Posts
Yes the vehicle will fit a H6 BUT to install it you will also need the full wiring harness, engine mounts, exhaust system, radiator and fans, the ECU/ECM, the BIU (body integrated unit) and probably the TCU (Transmission Control Unit). I also believe the fuel pump was different between the H6 and H4 so you will need that too.

Probaly easier to find a vehicle with the H6 already factory fitted.

Seagrass

1 - 4 of 4 Posts