Subaru Outback Forums banner

Engine hesitation

3K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  Maxboost08 
#1 · (Edited)
Has anyone else had an issue where acceleration seem fine until you are trying to accelerate from a set speed or rpm, and it seems like the engine is hesitating? It feels like it wants to go but it might be drowning for a second or so? I am trying to figure out if this is abnormal, or it just me reading too much into it. It isn't a constant deal, and it isnt all that much of an issue. I am just wondering if my senses are deceiving me.

#3 ·
I had to rewrite this thread. Its concerning what may or may not be an engine issue. I dont think it is, but I was inquiring.

Reactions: Brucey
#7 ·
Glad it isn't just me. I thought I might have been to much of a perfectionist, and I was feeling things that weren't there.

Reactions: Uumpabo1
#8 ·
I find this when the engine is not quite fully warmed up. More often from being parked fully warmed, cooled down some, and then restarted. The timing is advanced or not, by engine sensors, some of which may return to fully operational, like open loop, before maybe they should.
Tech told me too when making a turn and accelerating, the Oil Control Valve engages and may affect performance. Especially if it is failing. Just a thought.
When that lag occurs, and your accelerator response feels like stepping on moose stuff, look at the driving situation and bring back your findings. That may help all of us.

#9 ·
an old thread here (2009) where some responders said a pcm flash fixed the problem; apparently some think not...

#10 · (Edited)
Is this the 3.6R?

Try cleaning the throttle body. Carbon/sludge on the TB will cause a slow response time when the ECM commands movement based on your foot and the accelerator position.

Clean your grounds.

There have also been owners who've reprogrammed their throttle to better respond to APP input.

#13 ·
Is this the 3.6R?

Try cleaning the throttle body. Carbon/sludge on the TB will cause a slow response time when the ECM commands movement based on your foot and the accelerator position.

Clean your grounds.

There have also been owners who've reprogrammed their throttle to better respond to APP input.
I have cleaned my throttle body already. My grounds are brand new. I just posted a write up on that. I was reading that other thread that Micron posted, containing the older thread. There seems like there could be a connection. Hmm...

#14 ·
Something else you may look closely at is the plastic air intake assembly connected to the throttle body. Look at the seams of the mold and check for cracking. My R acted goofy on acceleration and the fuel trim was oddball until I looked really hard at it and found a crack that was throwing off the air measurement from the MAF sensor. It was only an inch long. Repaired it with plasti-weld.

#16 ·
pcv valve. = (how old is it, how many miles on it, and is it OEM ?)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.