Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Impreza OBS, 2.2 L SOHC, Blue and Silver
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do I set the engine idle speed? I've looked in the manual but I can't find anything about it. Please help.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The idle speed is set way to low, it's at about 500 rpm causing the engine to shake when sitting still for to long

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,318 Posts
My bad, gap in time there. Got busy.

Clean the throttle body. It may be carbon holding the throttle plate and effecting the TPS data to the ECM.

Also, when did you change the fuel filter last?

How old is the battery?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fuel filter was changed July 2011, battery was replaced around October or November 2011

·
Premium Member
14,318 Posts
I have been going back and forth between this forum and an Australian forum.

You have 2 cylinder misfires, EVAP issue, low idle. Fuel filter has been in more than a year and how many miles? You don't know when the plugs were replaced last.

97 Impreza with a 2.2 is run by a MAF and uses a MAP/BARO to calculate atmosphere and vacuum changes.

Vacuum leak could be the cause for the misfires and EVAP, but then at the same time you have a low idle which could be caused by a TPS data issue due to carbon build up or poor fuel delivery which could also cause misfires which effect vacuum in turn screwing with the EVAP.

Are you following me here?

One, if I had caught earlier that two post on the same car at the same time with connecting issues, this could have gone easier. So in the future, put it all in one post.

Two, it is apparent there is a maintenance issue, as in lack of maintenance.

So, lets start over.

Check the battery cables and grounds.
Change the fuel filter.
Get a set of NGK or Denso plugs and replace the ones you have. Get a set of Packard or NGK wires while your at it.
Clean the throttle body.
Make sure there aren't any cracks in the intake tube between the MAF and the throttle body.
Check for vacuum leaks anyway.

You may as well change the thermostat and flush the coolant out to forestall that thread you post about a P0420.

When you have this done, calculate a time for flushing all the other fluids on the car: trans, diffs, brake and power steering.

Clear the codes. Drive it. Then let us know how the car is running.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The low engine idle was posted before I knew about the engine codes, so I appologize about that.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The low idle just started yesterday, I've had the engine light on for almost two months

·
Premium Member
14,318 Posts
Problems don't go away on their own. You have to do something about them before they expand.

You have codes on for two months. Now the engine idle is low. Continue to ignore an issue and the issue gets worse. That's what I mean.

You either have a "domino" effect or another issue arising. Start with the list I already gave you in the previous post and see what changes.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Will do, thanks for the advice. I'll keep you posted as to what happens.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update: changed spark plugs, spark plug wires, two fuel lines, fuel filter, and one vacuum line, check engine light is off for now, idling smooth but still around 500 rpm. Is it normal for the 97 Impreza OBS to idle that low?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts