Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Outback Sedan 2.5 195K
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just shipped my car back from Europe. It was in transit about 4 weeks. No problems before hand. When the car was started the check engine light came on, it threw the following codes:

P0420 Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold
P0113 Intake Air Temperature sensor circuit high input

Thinking some combination of IAT, an O2 sensor, and the catalytic conv causing these. Anyone have experience or ideas on this?

Or

Maybe my car just didn't enjoy the boat ride? j/k

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,572 Posts
I'd probably just clear them and see if the codes return. I suppose the 420 'could' be due to an exhaust leak, particularly if the car was mishandled or took a shock or something???

·
Registered
2001 Outback Sedan 2.5 195K
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update:

I took the car to the local Subaru dealer/certified mechanic. They said the catalytic converter was probably bad (P0420) and was probably causing the other IAT/MAP codes (P0113). They then quoted me $1300 to fix the whole thing.

That raised my eyebrow. I'm not the most car savy person, but it seemed to me that issues with the IAT/MAP sensor could affect the cat, but not the other way around. So I took the IAT/MAP sensor off and found that the o-ring was broken. There was noticeable dirt/grime around the inlet where the sensor plugs into the intake manifold. If the o-ring failed, there was a leak and this was causing the codes. If the IAT/MAP isn't sending the correct signals, everything down-line from it would be affected including the cat.

So I cleaned it, threw a new o-ring on it (cost few cents), cleared the codes, and have been driving for a few days now without the engine light returning. It seems to have been the fix.

Kinda boggles me that the mechs didn't even bother to look at the IAT/MAP sensor. But hey, if my fix holds out I'm happy to have saved $1299!

·
Registered
01 Outback H6 VDC, 97 GT wgn w/ ej22, 98 OBW w/ej22
1,401 Posts
dealers love the p0420. they can claim the cats are bad and sell you new ones for $1300. along with the new cats you get new o2 sensors wich often is enough to ''fix'' the code. but there are lots of thing that will cause a a p0420 code. see ''cardoc'' posting on the very subject.

·
Registered
18,058 Posts
Going a bit off topic . . .

I'm wondering how you changed the link to display as cardoc & P0420 instead of http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/66-problems-maintenance/49537-p0420-diag.html, which is the title for cardoc's (excellent) thread.

I've been trying to find out how to take a link and have it display in different words. (http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/36-website-related-comments-questions-suggestions/49645-how-do-you-change-link-show-subject.html). You seem to have done it. Care to fill me in?

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,289 Posts
Update:

I took the car to the local Subaru dealer/certified mechanic. They said the catalytic converter was probably bad (P0420) and was probably causing the other IAT/MAP codes (P0113). They then quoted me $1300 to fix the whole thing.

That raised my eyebrow. I'm not the most car savy person, but it seemed to me that issues with the IAT/MAP sensor could affect the cat, but not the other way around. So I took the IAT/MAP sensor off and found that the o-ring was broken. There was noticeable dirt/grime around the inlet where the sensor plugs into the intake manifold. If the o-ring failed, there was a leak and this was causing the codes. If the IAT/MAP isn't sending the correct signals, everything down-line from it would be affected including the cat.

So I cleaned it, threw a new o-ring on it (cost few cents), cleared the codes, and have been driving for a few days now without the engine light returning. It seems to have been the fix.

Kinda boggles me that the mechs didn't even bother to look at the IAT/MAP sensor. But hey, if my fix holds out I'm happy to have saved $1299!
This is good!!!!!

See, nothing like looking for the simple first.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts