Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Subaru Legacy 2.5L AT 4WD
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car has been making a pretty loud whining noise on acceleration for a while now. Even the previous owners had it but were unable to diagnose it correctly. It's been going on for years. I am determined to find the cause. The car only makes this noise when I hit the gas but not when I brake.

Wonder what should be the 1st thing to look at?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you! Interesting.. Yes it is an automatic. I read on another thread that Serpentine belt pulley and tensioner might also cause such noise.. having those replaced might be fix?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks a lot for all your advise and knowledge. I didn't even think of checking for a vacuum leak! I will have that checked out in 2 days and let you know. :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Engine Noise Mystery..

The mechanic who worked on my Subie today found that the previous owner who neglected the car, drove with wrong size tires on in the back (smaller than recommended) which had caused damage to the transaxle/transmission causing this engine whining noise coming from transmission. Unfortunately it's been going on a for a while..so the transmission is probably damaged. When I bought this car it had 2 different sized tires in the back much smaller than normal Outback tire. Going to find some new tires and see what happens with the noise. He says we can take out the transaxle and have a look at it, service it and hope for the best. Otherwise, the next step would be to replace the transmission. :-( Not excited about that idea since transmission died on my -97 recently which is why I got this new -99 Outback in the first place. It will be hard to sell this car with a whining noise coming from the engine though.. So I guess I will drive it as long as it stays alive.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts