Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Love my 2017 OBT 3.6R and wish I could find 25 to 30 more HP with bolt-on/tuning. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2016 2.5 outback limited
165 Posts
to my knowledge, nothing exists. there is a tuning mod, but i dont think addresses hp. you could get a new air intake system, but i really dont by into the hp increase claims, and if true only 7 hp max. granted, im gonna get one in the future, but its more for show purposes only.

·
Banned
6,271 Posts
to my knowledge, nothing exists. there is a tuning mod, but i dont think addresses hp. you could get a new air intake system, but i really dont by into the hp increase claims, and if true only 7 hp max. granted, im gonna get one in the future, but its more for show purposes only.
Agree. An extra 25-30 hp at the wheels is not as easy to get as makers of many of the bolt on's claim. One can muck with the exhaust and work on making it sound like a two stroke piece of yard equipment, or maybe add some boost to an engine not designed to be boosted.

Best bang for the buck would be to change vehicles to one with the horsepower needed.

·
Super Moderator
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
6,713 Posts
Love my 2017 OBT 3.6R and wish I could find 25 to 30 more HP with bolt-on/tuning. Any ideas?
Yes - bolt it onto the back of this thing, and you'll get 200 MPH, give or take a few MPH for wind resistance:
https://www.hotrod.com/articles/v16-powered-semi-truck-fastest-big-thing-bonneville/

Interesting factoid - the couple that bred the guy in my avatar actually races a truck yearly at Bonneville in a related class, not this one, and holds a track record in their class. Wonder if there's some connection?

·
Banned
6,271 Posts
Yes - bolt it onto the back of this thing, and you'll get 200 MPH, give or take a few MPH for wind resistance:
https://www.hotrod.com/articles/v16-powered-semi-truck-fastest-big-thing-bonneville/

Interesting factoid - the couple that bred the guy in my avatar actually races a truck yearly at Bonneville in a related class, not this one, and holds a track record in their class. Wonder if there's some connection?
Your link shows a cool vehicle on the flats but I was a expecting a 200 mph OB...>:)

·
Registered
'17 Outback Limited 3.6R in Venetian Red.
488 Posts
Check out mod list, you'll get there. XRT tune not only improves performance, but improves shifts, and driveability. I went with Magnaflow mufflers and resonator, the AFE (Takeda) Stage II intake. Car breathes a lot better, and throttle response is excellent. I'm very pleased with the way my OB performs.

·
Super Moderator
2016 3.6 Limited with ES
2,783 Posts
Find Stormy Daniels. Make motorboat noise.

That's all I've got for you.

The 3.6 is pretty much going to be stuck with the original specs and design. No real market to speak of that would justify a huge aftermarket share and most of the bolt on stuff claims of extra HP, torque and raising of the dead only come at full throttle. I'm mean it's not it's small block Chevy or an AR-15 where you can play Barbie Doll with it.

You need a different car and engine to be Mario Andretti which is why a lot of us go with the upgraded RSB and bushings to give an improvement in cornering. Anyone can go straight but not everyone can go fast in the corners. :smile2:

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
11,669 Posts
Check out mod list, you'll get there. XRT tune not only improves performance, but improves shifts, and driveability. I went with Magnaflow mufflers and resonator, the AFE (Takeda) Stage II intake. Car breathes a lot better, and throttle response is excellent. I'm very pleased with the way my OB performs.
Can you do a 0-60 video and post it here please?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Hahahaha. Loved the Magnaflow tractor. Putting one on my OB would have the STi and Evo guys at my machine shop into fits of confusion and envy.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Asked this question in regards to the 4 banger a bit ago, got pretty similar answers. Not too much you can do with these engines to get too much more performance, power wise out of them. You can do a new intake, like the aFe, I know Nameless has axle back exhaust for it, Raptor has headers for it, and if you want, maybe the rest of you exhaust custom. On the engine itself, don't know of too much bolt on stuff you an do. Don't know the repulsion of Raptor as far as their superchargers go, but that's also an option. Then an XTR tune would help as well. Other than that, for performance, I'd say look at upgrading how it handles and stops for better ride quality. If you want to take the time to reduce weight, that's also an option.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Asked this question in regards to the 4 banger a bit ago, got pretty similar answers. Not too much you can do with these engines to get too much more performance, power wise out of them. You can do a new intake, like the aFe, I know Nameless has axle back exhaust for it, Raptor has headers for it, and if you want, maybe the rest of you exhaust custom. On the engine itself, don't know of too much bolt on stuff you an do. Don't know the repulsion of Raptor as far as their superchargers go, but that's also an option. Then an XTR tune would help as well. Other than that, for performance, I'd say look at upgrading how it handles and stops for better ride quality. If you want to take the time to reduce weight, that's also an option.
Thanks ...that’s pretty much what I thought ...agree with your comment about handling and ride ...recently installed 235/60/18 Michelin Premier LTX tires and it improves the ride and noise level from stock Duelers a ton. My last SUV was an X5 and I miss the throaty growl ...but don’t miss its insane maintenance issues, particularly when traveling in MT ...overall very happy w my OB.

·
Registered
Shopping
17 Posts
I see these kinds of posts on different forums and I'm always surprised by the posts basically saying nothing can be done...or it isnt worth it. Which comes off a bit funny because when the factory offers a "performance model" what do they do? Better breathing, better tuning, better suspension, etc. Just like with racing, improvements come by a collection of things. There never is one simple magic doo-dad that makes all the difference. Intakes improve flow, better exhaust components improve flow (not just noise...louder isnt always better unless we're talking race and open headers) and tuning can bring it all together to take advantage of those mods. If you collectively get 20-30hp that aint nothin! Another 30 ponies changes a car a lot. Usually you read the big numbers with boosted set-ups because they crank the boost, which works, but you dont have to look far on Youtube to find all the headaches that can come from pressurizing the daylights out of an engine. The links posted by XRT look like a well balanced performance plan and the post by Flat6Brick speaks volumes. I've had similar results with other cars.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
The engines are great from my years of tuning them. The only issue I see is boosting them - the engines get hot. There are already hot.

The most restrictive part of this engine is the headers. But the exhaust is the noisiest part and needs a very Balance and tuned exhaust system. The noise is around the headers area due to the multi-valve and head setup.

A nicely tuned fully setup car will net around 230-240whp in 3rd gear for the 5EAT. I have never tuned a 6MT on such a setup but I believe such a setup would produce 250-260whp more. That being said, is nothing much too superb to running a stage 1 semi stock WRX and STI.

I guess due to the issues noted with the rods etc, aftermarket parts are limited and persons have to content with the 3.0. But if these engines can be built cheaply, the power had will be tremendous and superb.

There are only a few highly tuned 3.6's I have tuned including me. The tq response is just beautiful.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts