Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few weeks ago my 1995 Legacy suddenly started having trouble. When my wife was picking me up from work the engine apparently made some odd noises. Then on the way home the engine died (luckily less than a block from the house) and it hasn't started since.

There is a check engine light, P0340 - cam position sensor error. It sounds like if the cam position sensor isn't working, the engine won't fire which is probably why the engine died. I bought a replacement from the local autozone, and it didn't help a hoot. I can reset the code, but it will come back when I crank the engine and the engine certainly doesn't start.

I got a second replacement actual subaru part, but no luck. I also checked the wiring harness as recommend by the service manual and it's within spec. I've done a visual inspection on the wiring harness as well and haven't found anything out of ordinary.

So, I'm a little lost as to where to go from here.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And the timing belt being off a few notches wouldn't throw a CEL of it's own? The P0340 is related to a defective sensor, not one that is reporting beyond operating range. This is really what's been keeping me from doing this. Still I can at least get the belt checked tomorrow, though I can't say I'm looking forward to replacing it.

Oh, mileage is at 172k which is getting up there. Obviously this won't be the first timing belt for the car.

·
Registered
01 Outback H6 VDC, 97 GT wgn w/ ej22, 98 OBW w/ej22
1,401 Posts
if the belt broke, the crank is turning and the cam is not, therefore the p0340.

pull the cover off of the driver side cam, 3 bolts, and see what you see. (use lots of pblaster) a slack belt will answer all your questions.

crank sensor triggers spark
cam sensor triggers fuel.

but if the belt is busted there could be no compression on some or more likely no intake / exhaust since the valves are not moving.

but also no internal damage since it is non-interference.

·
Registered
2014 OBW 3.6R Limited, 1997 OBW 2.5L Auto (sold, but not forgotten), and 1991 Ford F150
1,523 Posts
The P0340 is related to a defective sensor, not one that is reporting beyond operating range.
Codes are rarely that specific in meaning. Usually, they mean something is wrong with a system on the car, not a specific part. Thus, interpreting codes and fixing them is as much an art as a science.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What's funny is that before I looked at the codes, I thought it was probably the timing belt and the code convinced me otherwise. Still haven't gotten the cover off to check if the belt is slack, but it's about time to get started on it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, looks like you all are pretty well on the mark. The belt is split in half which pretty well explains it not starting I'd say. I'm not particularly looking forward to changing another timing belt, but it doesn't look as bad as I thought it was gonna be. I still need to decide how much it's worth replacing in there, it's hard to say how much longer the car will last. 172k isn't too much, but the frame isn't in the greatest shape.

·
Registered
01 Outback H6 VDC, 97 GT wgn w/ ej22, 98 OBW w/ej22
1,401 Posts
hang a new belt, $40 and drive on. most likely result, next year you do it again but you replace the toothed idler pulley or water pump.

the water pump failure it the most dangerous part on your engine. if you severely over heat the engine you could blow a head gasket $$$$.

but for 135$ on ebay, you can get a timing kit shipped to your door with new belt, idlers, and water pump. for about $35 more you can get new seals from subaru for cam, crank, oil pump and waterpump. add $12 more for coolant. all told you spend less than $200 and do it in a day. any way you cut it that's cheaper than another car. WAY cheaper.

not too bad for 60k more miles.

as it sits you get $500 for it. in running condition you get at least $1500.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That ebay link looks perfect, thanks for that I was just stating to shop for something along those lines. I figured the idlers probably needed replacing, but was trying to decide on the water pump and thermostat. The car isn't leaking oil and it was dry under the cover (unlike the last timing belt I replaced) so I feel like I should save those for another time. Thanks a lot for all the help.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts