Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed my oil at 3500 miles just like the specifications state and am coming up on my 7500 mile service.

When I went to the dealer last time, he said they use conventional oil unless the customer requests synthetic (about 2x the price). He said the 7500 mile requirement won't change regardless of which oil I use. That seems strange, but I understand the factory maintainence schedules have to be made standard.

So my question if I'm using conventional dead dino juice, do I still go with the 7500 mile oil changes or do they need to be at some other interval? Just looking for what prevents voiding the warrenty.

My beast of a Honda minivan has always used conventional oil. The maintainence minder system checks the oil and other things, but doesn't flash an oil change requirement until after 7500 miles some times.

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,306 Posts
For what vehicle and engine?

·
Registered
'05 2.5i H4 4-Speed Auto w/Sportshift
514 Posts
I find that the vehicle's owner manual typically stretches oil changes out to 7,500 miles, even if you are using garbage oil.

I would assume using full synthetic to 7,500 would be a lot better for the engine as it has been proven many times to be still good well beyond that.

·
Registered
'13 Outback 3.6R Limited
352 Posts
'13MY Specifications

Page 12-5
2.5L 0W-20 synthetic oil is the required oil for optimum engine performance and protection. Conventional oil may be used if synthetic oil is unavailable. *: If 0W-20synthetic oil is not available, 5W-30 or 5W-40 conventional oil may be used if replenishment is needed but should be changed to 0W-20 synthetic oil at the next oil change.

Page 12-6
3.6L Your vehicle is designed to use 5W-30 conventional motor oil, however 5W-30 synthetic may be used for optimum engine performance. If you do choose to use synthetic oil, we recommend that you continue using synthetic for the life of your vehicle.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Plz don't assume a dealership oil change is needed to keep the warranty in effect. Anyone, including yourself can do it.
Also don't ask a dealer for a 7500 mile service. Just ask for an oil/filter change.
Ask me how I know. The difference in price is about $100 between the two and except for a tire rotation both services are identical.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
For what vehicle and engine?
sorry, 2102 Outback w/ 2.5L 4-cyl

And thanks upflying for the note on the 7500 mile service. When I was younger I used to do basic repairs (brakes, radiator replacement, etc) on my older cars, but find I have neither the time or desire to do that now.

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5 Premium - Former: Golf TDI
454 Posts
I changed my oil at 3500 miles just like the specifications state and am coming up on my 7500 mile service.

When I went to the dealer last time, he said they use conventional oil unless the customer requests synthetic (about 2x the price). He said the 7500 mile requirement won't change regardless of which oil I use. That seems strange, but I understand the factory maintainence schedules have to be made standard.

So my question if I'm using conventional dead dino juice, do I still go with the 7500 mile oil changes or do they need to be at some other interval? Just looking for what prevents voiding the warrenty.

My beast of a Honda minivan has always used conventional oil. The maintainence minder system checks the oil and other things, but doesn't flash an oil change requirement until after 7500 miles some times.
The owner's manual states that synthetic is "recommended", not required. However, when doing it myself, synthetic costs maybe $8 more and I utilize it for just a bit of assurance. Notice that if you're operating under what Subaru labels as "severe conditions" per the owner's manual, you might consider cutting down the interval to 3,750.

In previous VW's, my OCI has always been 10,000 and I utilized a Mobil 1 special formula for the TDI's (lower ash) and every blackstone report I got back indicated that I could go more. Given that that was a turbo-charged motor, I have little concern in this 2.5 running 7,500 OCI's on a good synthetic (and probably even a good dino).

Shortened version: grab bulk oil filters off of ebay, a $25 jug of Mobil 1 (puts flame suit on), and change it yourself in the 10 minutes it takes if you're physically capable (you don't even have to jack the OB up, it has enough clearance). Want it even easier? Install a fumoto drain valve. :29:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts