Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Legacy Outback
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1997 Outback's 2.5 engine is out for Head Gasket replacement. I have a complete engine gasket set so I will replace as many of those as I can. I would like to clean as much of the engine that I can.

I was wondering if anyone could give me some ideas of what else to check/replace while its out? Also, any engine crud cleaning tips would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
97 - the rubber timing belt is due just from age given rubber continues to cure and gets hard over time. I would for sure do that if it hasn't been done. Pending miles doing the pulleys and guides - with water pump would not hurt and buy you some confidence that all of that stuff is A OK and a non worry. OEM Thermostat would be a good idea also.

Valve cover gaskets do start leaking and are a big pain with the engine in so your call.

·
Registered
1997 Legacy Outback
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess I should have mentioned that I have all new timing items (belt, pulleys, etc), as well as new accessory belts, new water pump & thermostat, and an engine overhaul gasket set. The gasket set has everything that I've taken off...for valve cover, intake manifold, exhaust downpipe, and all kinds of other gaskety tidbits.

(Also have replaced cat-back exhuast, replaced the front drive axles and all 4 brakes (rotors & pads)). Also replaced the front crank seal which was leaking.

I was mainly looking for 1) how to clean the various components of the engine (block, heads, etc) and 2) is there anything that should be done while the engine is out that people tend to forget?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Might sound stupid but do your plugs and plug wires after the head gasket the dealership didn't on mine... and I paid for it with crappy MPG after. There is likely oil on the plugs after the HG goes, plus you can actually reach them without racking your knuckles.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts