Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback Ltd
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another day, another problem.....01 Outback....Everything was well and fine, I was driving on a highway and decided to turn the heat on. It started blowing cold air, then I looked at coolant gauge and saw that the temperature was increasing very rapidly. I pulled over and turned the car off. Waited for some time, and started driving again but without turning the heat on. In a matter of seconds temperature on the gauge increased to almost max, and I pulled over again and was towed home.
When I got home I added coolant, and tried another test drive around the block but there was no change; the engine got to the max in few seconds. Heating still does not work. The engine does not seem to overheat when idling.

What do you recommend checking? Is there known Subaru problem that would cause this?

·
On the Super Mod Squad
02 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,204 Posts
from your other present thread, a cylinder 3 misfire is not fine. (at least in my neighborhood).

here is to hoping it is not a head gasket that is leaking in a odd way (uncharacteristic of this engine), and causing all your problems.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
No heat means coolant loss. Either a leak or Head gasket. My 01 was leaking driver side rear bottom corner of the head. Right after you shut it off look up behind the driver side front tire from under the driver side door. You can see the bottom corner of the head if its dripping coolant via the 01 head gasket leak youll see it. The hot exhaust evaporates the evidence pretty quick.

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback Ltd
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Was diagnosed today - water pump leak. I also found out that when one shop did timinig belt couple years ago, they did not bother to replace water pump, even though I brought it up to them. They said water pump was good. Now I have to pay twice.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,624 Posts
uncommon - but not impossible failure.

Kinda surprised there was no evidence of drips on the ground under the car or smell of coolant leading up to this.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
It happens regardless of brand or model. My mom at 50 noted her Nissan leaking mainly due to smell. I figure if a 50 yr old lady with zero mechanical awarness notices things most people should be able to catch this kinda stuff.

Took me 3 days to figure out a heater hose was leaking on my Landcruiser. It was behind the engine and 2inches long! Talk about a head scratcher. It actually called the “Pesky water hose” google it. Lol

That stuff happens. Just be glad you werent at 3500ft climbing out at 180knots it sucks when your landing options are zero and all you can hear us wind over the wings cuz the lycoming just ate its innards.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts