Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Outback XT
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, my 2006 OBXT, which I still love, has 107K miles and has been maintained well. I was sitting at work yesterday and got a call from the wife..."the car is like bumpy and there is a CEL and the Cruise light is flashing but there is no error code". When I got home and started it the engine ran rough, like a cylinder was misfiring. I tried going down my street and when the CEL started flashing I went back home and turned it off. My first thought was fuel injection system/valves but I am no mechanic and not particularly inclined so I really don't know. Then I recalled that on Sunday on the way home I filled the near empty tank at our local gas station with the usual premium gas. The car did not move again until my wife dropped off and then picked up the kids from school. So the car would have been driven approx 1 mile since the fill up when the engine starting "bumping". Any chance bad gas is causing this problem? If so, getting rid of this tank of gas and replacing with different premium gas is probably the cheapest first step? Any thoughts, recommendations would be greatly appreciated! Thanks very much.

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,307 Posts
CEL and no CC but no code is a paradox.

Can't really happen.

How did you come to the conclusion there is no code?

·
Registered
2006 Outback XT
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am assuming that if an error code is not showing on dash then there isn't an error code. I guess that is wrong? But why wouldn't the code show on the dash? Thanks for the reply!

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Ltd Obsidian Black 5MT
1,079 Posts
I am assuming that if an error code is not showing on dash then there isn't an error code. I guess that is wrong? But why wouldn't the code show on the dash? Thanks for the reply!
The codes do not appear automatically on the dash.

You need to either go through the built in diagnostic display, or have the codes read. However, if the Check Engine Light is flashing, then don't drive it until you find out what the problem is. A flashing CEL is BAD. The cruise light will always flash when the CEL is on showing that your cruise system is disabled.

I did have the wiring harness connector to one of the spark plug coils randomly pop off while I was driving. It even has a locking tab to prevent that, but it happened anyway. Only found it after having the car flatbedded home. Check all connections to make sure they're snug.

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,144 Posts
If you had a CEL flashing and cruise flashing, and this is an XT, stop driving it until you find out what the codes or the problems are. These cars can blow a turbo bearing and lunch the motor in heartbeat if there is an issue with turbo lubrication.

107K miles. When was the timing belt done?

What's maintained well? What type of oil, how often do you change it? How long have you owned the car?

Any possibility you can log data. Good diagnostics are usually started there.

What's the fuel pressure?

Any possibility you blew one of the 101 vacuum lines or connections?

·
Registered
493 Posts
Back in the day when a client had a rough running engine, rather than spending time to diagnose it we would tell them it must be some bad gas and to go out and get some airplane fuel and run it hard with to fix the problem. We might even add that we did that with our own cars on occasion to keep them running at their peak.

·
Registered
2006 Outback XT
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks very much relative4 and Logie_OBXT and Seajay for the replies, link and information! I totally forgot about the reading error code process...it has been years since I did it last and I'm getting old.

traildogck: Timing belt was done not too long ago. Synthetic oil for last number of years done every 3-4K miles. Other scheduled regular maintenance pretty much done on time. I am the original owner. Don't know the fuel pressure, is it easy to check? I did a cursory inspection of the engine when it was running and did not see or hear anything out of the ordinary aside from the rough engine...but I am no expert. I will do a more in depth check of lines/connections and wiring harness connectors to spark plug coil.

Thanks again!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts