Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im seeing a lot of people here claiming that the car has pep and power but mine doesnt seem to. but then again I cant compare it since I know no one else who has one. but im struggling to go so seventy pulling a small trailer (700 lbs) small white factory built cargo trailer 5x8. and it just seems like there is no power.
i notice when i tap the gas the car drops rpm from 1000 to about 600 then goes up, almost like a hesitation. im curious what it could be.
also I used cheap plugs, auto lites for 3 bucks a piece, does it really make a difference. this is my first subaru and im loving it but Ive got a lot to learn.

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,326 Posts
And you would be talking about what vehicle, engine, and transmission?

·
Registered
Somebody Else's XT
14,447 Posts
Im seeing a lot of people here claiming that the car has pep and power but mine doesnt seem to. but then again I cant compare it since I know no one else who has one. but im struggling to go so seventy pulling a small trailer (700 lbs) small white factory built cargo trailer 5x8. and it just seems like there is no power.
i notice when i tap the gas the car drops rpm from 1000 to about 600 then goes up, almost like a hesitation. im curious what it could be.
also I used cheap plugs, auto lites for 3 bucks a piece, does it really make a difference. this is my first subaru and im loving it but Ive got a lot to learn.
I don't need to know which year or engine is in it to tell you the autolites are not quite right. Not completely awful either, but the best results for these cars come from properly gapped NGKs. Your choice whether you use the cheap copper version or the fancy platinums or super fancy iridiums. They are equivalent, but the pricier ones can be run a few extra years before replacement.

Subies are even more sensitive to spark wires- use the OEM.

Post more details and we can try to help.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
Use OEM NGK plugs and Subaru wires (or at least high quality wires).
Have the wires ever been replaced?
Any check engine light?

Not all Subaru engines are so sensitive, and you don't say which vehicle/engine you have, but if you're posting here that suggests a newer EJ engine, all of which do better on the OEM NGK plugs.

·
Lord of ScoobyMods, ,
19' Impreza Sport 5 dr / 01' Forester S / 13' OB CVT / 10' Legacy 3.6R / 99 Mita MX-5
1,213 Posts
Yes, I agree. OEM wires and NGK plugs. Fancy double or whatever electrodes work against you and typically make the car run worse. If you are doing it yourself and don't want to have to change them as frequently get Iridium plugs.

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
15,501 Posts
The heat range of the OE plugs are a large factor as well. The ability for the plug to transfer the heat makes a large difference in the way it fires.

There may also be a sensor that is slow to react. But unless or until the MIL comes on with a code stored you would have to check each one independently.

Try a set of NGK plugs and change the PCV valve or clean it. Also, clean the throttle body and add a can of Sea Foam to a full tank of premium unleaded to clean the system of varnish and carbon.

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
15,501 Posts
I just noticed you have two threads going.

Check your battery amperage output. Check the grounds. It may be the key to both issues.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I will check on that. and my details are (sorry for not posting earlier)
1997 subaru outback with a 96 outback 2.5l motor. and automatic transmission.
I did just take one of the heads completely apart and changed the intake manifold back to the 97 manifold as the 96 didnt have a spot for my evap canister and that made a check engine light. So while i checked the hook back up pretty closely, I have been wondering about my grounds, though they have never been removed from what I can tell.

·
Registered
2004 Outback Wagon, 2.5, 4EAT, All weather package.
1,036 Posts
Are the OEM Subaru wires made by NGK as well? Would it be okay to use NGK wires when replacing them?

·
Lord of ScoobyMods, ,
19' Impreza Sport 5 dr / 01' Forester S / 13' OB CVT / 10' Legacy 3.6R / 99 Mita MX-5
1,213 Posts
I'm not sure who makes the OEM wires for Subaru, could be NGK. I've tried various types over the years but so far the best fitting type have been OEM Subaru. Surprisingly they are very affordable too. I use to like Magnacore but found they didn't fit nearly as well on the spark plug. Not a very good seal at the valve cover on the boot and they could pop off.

·
Registered
2003 OBW 2.5L 4EAT
860 Posts
The Oem wires that are put on the car from assembly are Packards. I believe the dealer only sells NGK wires as replacements (at least the dealer where I live does that) I replaced mine with Standard
Bluestreak wires and they fit nicely, no problems with them either plus they are slightly cheaper than NGK's.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts