Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Outback w/ 3.6 H6 <Also> 2012 Outback w/ 2.5 H4 w/ CVT
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 2012 Outback 2.5 w/ CVT : engine stalls when stopping at a sign or light , It feels like the CVT transmission "shifts down " which snuffs out the engine . Intermittent , Happens when you stop quicker than slowly.

Has this happened to anyone else and what can be done , anything I can do myself ?

Thank you for replies.........

·
On the Super Mod Squad
02 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,200 Posts
miles on the car,??

sounds like the torque converter kind of failure, that is covered by the extended warranty on the CVT to 100,000 miles.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
02 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,200 Posts
72 K miles
well that is great to read. ...I see a subaru corp fix in your future. :smile2: ...and a loaner car to help with your coping.

and you can hit the link next the the question mark in my signature,

as under your screen name on the left it says you only have a 11 3.6, with one of the last great 5EAT.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you guys for the "TSB 16-90-13R Torque Converter" info : "1) Per the TSB I posted, you likely have a washer style xxx170 torque converter that will be replaced *IF* it exhibits the pressure build-up stalling issue. But don't expect them to change it out 'just because'. This is still a voluntary action and not Federally mandated, so they likely won't do it unless there is just cause.

That said, you might want to emulate the scenario that brings out the worst (the high speed full stop), and see if you do indeed experience any kind of shudder. Being honestly able to say 'it happened' will probably be enough to get you a converter."

That's exactly what we have been feeling , like as you stop completely , the tranny loads up , shudders , and pinches down the engine , killing it's rotation .

Very annoying in traffic situations , probably good way to get hit in the rear by others thinking you will move as others begin to move ahead of you.

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5 Limited
963 Posts
The good news is that 16-90-13R is part of what is covered by the CVT warranty extension. So you should be able to take it in and have it dealt with under warranty. If you want you can call SOA ahead of a dealer visit, and they can log your issue and notify the dealership. That way when you take it in they'll have marching orders from corporate to handle the warranty case.

If you still run into issues have the dealer look up TSB 06-107-17 which explains the warranty update to the dealers. The service procedure flow diagram on page 2 of 06-107-17 clearly instructs them to cover this TSB (16-90-13R) as part of the warranty repair.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The good news is that 16-90-13R is part of what is covered by the CVT warranty extension. So you should be able to take it in and have it dealt with under warranty. If you want you can call SOA ahead of a dealer visit, and they can log your issue and notify the dealership. That way when you take it in they'll have marching orders from corporate to handle the warranty case.

If you still run into issues have the dealer look up TSB 06-107-17 which explains the warranty update to the dealers. The service procedure flow diagram on page 2 of 06-107-17 clearly instructs them to cover this TSB (16-90-13R) as part of the warranty repair.
Any particular SOA number that works best for matters such as this ? Would a previous call like this to SOA - P.O. my dealer ?

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5 Limited
963 Posts
Their general customer support line - 1-800-SUBARU3 (1-800-782-2783)

Many dealerships tend to shy away from warranty repairs and will state "cannot replicate customer complaint" and send you away. If you call SOA ahead the dealership knows it has their attention and it will require more burden of proof to close out the case, as SOA is going to want documentation that they walked through the proper diagnostics.

·
Registered
'14 Subi OBW, '18 Subi Forester
1,761 Posts
Glad to have been of service!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Called SOA , gave VIN , Was told : IT IS COVERED ! Got a SOA case number to back me up , going to dealer tomorrow.
Thanks again !

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update : dealer replaced torque converter with updated version , on warranty , $1800 job but not one cent from me , also " performed multi-point inspection " - nothing else wrong at 73 K , got loaner Outback for the day from them -no cost .

Thanks again , all !

1 - 13 of 13 Posts