Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT, 2007 Outback 2.5
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been having a lot of issues with the XT that feel like the engine stumbling from a failing fuel pump under moderate sustained load, but it goes away when I put the transmission in manual mode. I don't even know where to begin with this. Is it normal? Has anyone else experienced this? Is this a software issue of the CVT constantly trying to be in a lower "gear" than it should be, then the turbo spooling up to compensate? A mechanical problem with the CVT and the engine trying to compensate? There are a lot of complaints in the forums about the XT feeling jerky or not smooth and I'm starting to wonder if this is the behavior that people are experiencing.

·
Premium Member
2020 Outback Onyx XT
3,693 Posts
I've been having a lot of issues with the XT that feel like the engine stumbling from a failing fuel pump under moderate sustained load, but it goes away when I put the transmission in manual mode. I don't even know where to begin with this. Is it normal? Has anyone else experienced this? Is this a software issue of the CVT constantly trying to be in a lower "gear" than it should be, then the turbo spooling up to compensate? A mechanical problem with the CVT and the engine trying to compensate? There are a lot of complaints in the forums about the XT feeling jerky or not smooth and I'm starting to wonder if this is the behavior that people are experiencing.
I have experienced this. It's almost like the tranny doesn't want to shift down and lugs the engine.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
13,427 Posts
I can't say I experienced the same thing but I did experience something similar.

You know how there's a transition from open loop to closed loop - well on my car a few minutes after starting it, I can be cruising along and the engine may feel like it misfires. That happened for the first few month or so, but then it went away. Not sure if the computer learned somehow.

Separately the torque converter might lock at a certain speed and my understanding is that once the torque converter locks it doesn't want to keep locking and unlocking, so it's somewhat like a thermostat where the point at which it activates and the point at which it shuts off are distant enough to not cause rapid cycling. Once the torque converter locks it will unlock reluctantly when you give it enough gas, or maybe going to manual mode changes the logic and the torque converter unlocks.

Our cars are also drive-by-wire so it's not as if we truly control how much gas the car is getting. We're telling it what we want but it ultimately decides for us.

Normally the torque converter unlocks just as you're slowing to a stop, and you can feel it - the car suddenly rolls with no engine braking.

None of the above may relate to what you're experiencing.

Another possibility is that your engine is having mild pinging and your ignition is being retarded. My suggestion would be to try one tank of Shell V-power premium gas and see if it helps.

·
Super Moderator
Outback 2011 3.6R Premium
2,857 Posts
I have read on this website that there is a procedure that can be done that “relearns” the throttle input for the 2020 XT and helps to resolve throttle response problems. This is not the normal idle relearn and it is specific to the 2020 XT.

I do not remember the procedure but hopefully someone else will post a link to that topic on this forum.

Seagrass

·
Super Moderator
Outback 2011 3.6R Premium
2,857 Posts
I have read on this website that there is a procedure that can be done that “relearns” the throttle input for the 2020 XT and helps to resolve throttle response problems. This is not the normal idle relearn and it is specific to the 2020 XT.

I do not remember the procedure but hopefully someone else will post a link to that topic on this forum.

Seagrass
This is the topic I was think of

2020 XT Throttle response.

Seagrass

Reactions: SilverOnyx
1 - 5 of 5 Posts