Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
01 Outback 3.0
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 different conditions but I think they may be related.
First, before I get to the issue in the title, I have noticed that recently the car increases or maintains city speeds when I am not on the throttle. Just today, I was going 5mph over and a cop came up behind me so I let off the throttle, but I had to brake repeatedly to maintain a reasonable speed, which of course made me stand out and probably look interesting. Good thing he was off duty because he drove right out of city limits, presumably to go home.

Next is the title issue.
Yesterday we made a trip out to Destin but on the way out we made a few stops. Once, between 2 stops, we were driving a 25 mph zone and the engine would surge between idle and 2000 rpm about every 1 1/4- 1 1/2 seconds. It did it again today after the cop passed as well. Thing is, once its out of gear, neutral or park, it idles fine.

Ever hear of such a thing? I think I am mostly on my own with repairs around here. I asked another LLB owner where he goes and he said he does it all himself, and there are far fewer Subes here than in Tucson, so potentially less Subaru-specific knowledge.

·
Registered
76 Posts
On my 2001 H6, i have the surging during a cold start and i have it in gear going down a hill off the throttle. I also recently had a code come up for something regarding the Air Idle Control Valve. It may need cleaning. It is located on the top of the intake - H4 or H6, similar design, but a little different. You will need a gasket for it if you plan on cleaning it. Theres tons of threads regarding that issue. Hopefully that helps somewhat. I have not had the issue after my engine warms up though, so i couldnt explain that issue.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,754 Posts
scan the ECU, even pending codes might help

there was a recall for a clip on the throttle bellcrank to prevent the cruise cable from interfering with the throttle cable....?

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
27,163 Posts
pcv also makes for surges.

beware if pulling one to look at it though, the hoses can be brittle after 18 years.

cleaning one is just a stop gap while waiting for a new OEM one to come into your hand.
(as its a wear part, that is sadly not "somewhere" on the maint. schedule,... missing just like a OEM thermostat and OEM rad cap).

·
Registered
01 Outback 3.0
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got the codes read:
P0128. Yeah, I know. Thermostat stuck open. I will get to it later.
P0464. I had a shop address this in Dec before we moved. Good to see I got my $500 worth.
P0507. I looked underhood and have 2 vacuum hoses loose. The first is the PCV, which I replaced in December or November including a new hose. So I will pull the wiper reservoir again and reattach it. The second hose is this guy in the image. I can't figure out where it goes.

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,754 Posts
I recognized that molded elbow - mine corroded and I built a work-around with a generic vacuum line repair kit from the parts store.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.