Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I know this is a been there done that topic. I've looked at some of the post already and still don't think I've found my answer. My 02 MT/OBW is having gearbox issues. Again. I replaced it once with a used box. I can do it again but if I am going to be using the same years gearboxes, I'm sure I will run into the same issues. However, I am willing to replace both motor and gearbox in one shot. Newer motor, newer 5 or 6spd. I will be traveling for the next 3 months so there is no rushing mechanics to get it done. Does anyone know a direct fit combo? I would love the 6spd so I'm probably steering that direction. Any help is always appreciated

Sent from my SM-G930T1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Limited, VF37, STI intake, 5MT
1,553 Posts
If you want to drop-in a motor/trans combo, that's fine, but you'll be limited to 2005 model year for engines. Even then, you'll have to delete (or leave in place) the EGR equipment, assuming yours isn't already equipped as such. However, the differences that make-up more power come from the engine management rather than the actual engine itself.

As for the transmission, you can go nuts, but unless you are going to also swap the rear differential, you will also be pretty limited. If swapping the differential out, up to and including 2014 variants will bolt-in without much (if any) modifications. I would skip the STI 6MT as the extra weight, non-optimal gearing, and cost is astronomical compared to other options.

If you want strength, the 05+ LGT/OBXT/WRX/FXT transmission is generally considered the strongest 5MT made. Available in several final drive ratios and gear ratios, so you can pick-and-choose. And yours being a 2002, I don't think you'd need to change the front axles either (as this trans requires "male" axles). Still not super cheap, but hard to kill.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
02 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,201 Posts
no EGR on a US spec 2002 legacy outback.

however the engines you maybe looking at may have it.

what comes out of all such threads. particularly involving gen2 bodies:

too much work as a DIY with free pit crew, too much work on the clock, and as you are in NY. (as I recall),

you got to pass emissions readiness.

so I would leave the engine swaps to the ricer boys trying to turn a 220hp WRX into a 260hp STI,
(but somehow magically/illegally get a pass every year,...like plugging the state computer into a stock running wreck that never hits the road)

_____

but if you want to spend the money and the time be ready to pay for most of the following: engine/trans/ diffs/ axles, custom engine cross member, exhaust including cats, ecu. ....with a idiots promise that it will "work/pass" in the end. so to get all that you need a whole wreck,...plus the custom cross member.

_________

but back to your problem: what is happening with the transmissions. if anything subaru manuals of the era need only gear lube swaps occasionally, and a clutch kit now and then. (like a OEM or a Aisin if they make one).

but long island traffic is not actually conducive or fun in such manual subarus either,....and easy to wear a clutch out even under a expert foot under such daily stoplight/traffic jam abuse.

(maybe you should move ).

____

moved thread to gen2.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So the gearbox is having a hard time going into 1st, 2nd, 5th and now reverse. I literally have to force it into these gears if I can even find them. It sometimes jumps out of 1st. My mechanic says synchros. It is already a second box. That's why I thought maybe just going much newer.

·
Registered
'03 outback limited, '01 Outback Limited, '01 Legacy L wagon, '96 Legacy Brighton wagon
2,179 Posts
So the gearbox is having a hard time going into 1st, 2nd, 5th and now reverse. I literally have to force it into these gears if I can even find them. It sometimes jumps out of 1st. My mechanic says synchros. It is already a second box. That's why I thought maybe just going much newer.

Try changing the trans oil if you have not doe so already, and maybe try some Seafoam in it for a few miles to see if the syncros free up ( then drain and fill again). Often times syncros will get sticky if run low on oil - they get hot, then start cooking the oil film, making a sticky layer that doesn't allow them to work properly.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Try changing the trans oil if you have not doe so already, and maybe try some Seafoam in it for a few miles to see if the syncros free up ( then drain and fill again). Often times syncros will get sticky if run low on oil - they get hot, then start cooking the oil film, making a sticky layer that doesn't allow them to work properly.
Definitely will try first. Doesn't hurt. Thanks

·
Registered
'03 outback limited, '01 Outback Limited, '01 Legacy L wagon, '96 Legacy Brighton wagon
2,179 Posts
Even the quality of oil can make a difference over time. Way back when ( '88), I was down at the Daytona 24 hr race when approached by the chief mechanic for another team ( some actor named Newman and Scott Sharp) who were also customers. They were running a 300ZX with the stock transmission ( it still had syncros) and they were having a hard time shifting near the end of every practice session - the syncros were starting to stick. Gave them some special gear lube from NEO that was made for a CWP design problem with the '87C March Indy car ( the draftsman at March has drawn the teeth backwards, and so the gears were made such that they were driving on the coast side of the gears!), and the problem was solved. As far as I know, NEO still makes that particular mix - 75-71 EHD.

Moral of the story - don't go all cheapo on transmission gear lube!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you want to drop-in a motor/trans combo, that's fine, but you'll be limited to 2005 model year for engines. Even then, you'll have to delete (or leave in place) the EGR equipment, assuming yours isn't already equipped as such. However, the differences that make-up more power come from the engine management rather than the actual engine itself.

As for the transmission, you can go nuts, but unless you are going to also swap the rear differential, you will also be pretty limited. If swapping the differential out, up to and including 2014 variants will bolt-in without much (if any) modifications. I would skip the STI 6MT as the extra weight, non-optimal gearing, and cost is astronomical compared to other options.

If you want strength, the 05+ LGT/OBXT/WRX/FXT transmission is generally considered the strongest 5MT made. Available in several final drive ratios and gear ratios, so you can pick-and-choose. And yours being a 2002, I don't think you'd need to change the front axles either (as this trans requires "male" axles). Still not super cheap, but hard to kill.
Is the 05 gearbox a direct fit? My synchros are shot. Looking for a box. Assuming that my base model has the 4.44 final drive. I can find a bunch of jdm boxes but not sure how direct fit they are

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Limited, VF37, STI intake, 5MT
1,553 Posts
Is the 05 gearbox a direct fit? My synchros are shot. Looking for a box. Assuming that my base model has the 4.44 final drive. I can find a bunch of jdm boxes but not sure how direct fit they are

2005+ gearboxes will need the speedometer sender added in-order to drop-in to your 02. 2005+ used ABS speed data rather than a sensor on the transmission. The provisions are there, you just have to pop the sender hole plug and thread-in.

And only the OBXT and FXT got the 4.444 box (USDM). There are many JDM WRX and early STI models that also came with the 4.444, which is where most of the eBay units come from, aside from Forester and Forester STI.

Your 02 OB/MT has a 4.111. Only the OB/AT got the 4.444 (up to/including 2004) in that era.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
2005+ gearboxes will need the speedometer sender added in-order to drop-in to your 02. 2005+ used ABS speed data rather than a sensor on the transmission. The provisions are there, you just have to pop the sender hole plug and thread-in.

And only the OBXT and FXT got the 4.444 box (USDM). There are many JDM WRX and early STI models that also came with the 4.444, which is where most of the eBay units come from, aside from Forester and Forester STI.

Your 02 OB/MT has a 4.111. Only the OB/AT got the 4.444 (up to/including 2004) in that era.
Thanks a million. This definitely helps.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts