Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just completed timing belt and coolant service on my friend’s 07 OB 2.5 SOHC. I have been servicing this car since 2012 right after dealer replaced head gaskets. For the first time I realized it does not have an engine under cover with the hatch to access oil filter. It does have the side mud covers...had to remove passenger side to access radiator drain. I’m guessing dealer removed undercover while doing head gasket job and did not bother replacing it. I assume this car came with an undercover because it shows on the parts list. Actually, two different undercover are called out so who knows which is the right one. Is it possible this car was not fitted with an undercover? Thanks.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,491 Posts
2005-2009 outbacks came with maxipad with wings style undercovers

2000-2004 outbacks came with bigger ones with the vertical sides.

if you want bigger you will have to go aftermarket like the primitive brand aluminum ones.

maybe you see 2 part #s, as one is for H6, and one is for H4,/ H4 turbo?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Her car has these 56410AG10A, B for left and right side. These are the numbers for the undercover which covers the center: 56410AG08F ; 56410AG08A; 56410AG08B; 56410AG08C; 56410AG08D; 56410AG08E. The one image of this carticle very shows it has wings which seem like they would duplicate the side mud covers she has. So, I’m wondering if they came one way or the other. You either got the two mud covers on each side leaving the oil filter exposed or you got the undercover with wings which has a hatch to access oil filter.

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Limited, VF37, STI intake, 5MT
1,578 Posts
Does the lower core support have the white "standoff" brackets in place? I've noticed a pattern between the OB and Legacy: The OB has the "full" underbody shield with the standoffs installed when the Legacy does not. 2005-2009 models, sedans and wagons.

My logic is thus: the OB got the "better" underbody protection while the Legacy got the small spats on the side. Why would the Legacy need full engine cover if it's only staying on the road, right?

If the car was involved in an accident before the current owner, the shops like to leave off the shield and/or replace with the spats as they are cheaper to buy than the whole shield. If you've got the white standoffs, but the spats, someone has replaced then in the past.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just talked with Subie dealer where she bought it new. This car comes only with the side mud guards, no center cover. Mystery solved. Again, I have never seen so many variations on a car theme. Subie must have the most complicated parts inventory system known to mankind. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
2009 OB 2.5i 4EAT
298 Posts
Do you mean the skid plate? Heres a diagram if it helps: http://opposedforces.com/parts/lega...under_cover_and_exhaust_cover/illustration_1/

I just crawled under my new to me 2009 2.5i and found mine didn't have it either. I thought it had gotten ripped off ( another user here said that was likely the case) but it's interested to hear that maybe it actually didn't come with it. Picture of mine attached for comparison.

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do you mean the skid plate? Heres a diagram if it helps: http://opposedforces.com/parts/lega...under_cover_and_exhaust_cover/illustration_1/

I just crawled under my new to me 2009 2.5i and found mine didn't have it either. I thought it had gotten ripped off ( another user here said that was likely the case) but it's interested to hear that maybe it actually didn't come with it. Picture of mine attached for comparison.
Subaru calls it a front under cover. I wouldn’t call it a skid plate considering it is plastic. Your car looks exactly like my friend’s.

·
Registered
2009 OB 2.5i 4EAT
298 Posts
Subaru calls it a front under cover. I wouldn’t call it a skid plate considering it is plastic. Your car looks exactly like my friend’s.
Haha very fair point. I was struggling to figure out what to call it at first, just clarifying if you were talking about the same thing I was thinking.

·
Registered
2009 Subaru Outback 2.5i
277 Posts
My '09 2.5i looks just like that...nothing in the middle. I don't believe there was anything in the middle on mine when it came from the factory since I do not see any place where it would bolt or clip to. If you're worried about it, RalliTEK and Primitive make aluminum skid plates that cover that space... :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My '09 2.5i looks just like that...nothing in the middle. I don't believe there was anything in the middle on mine when it came from the factory since I do not see any place where it would bolt or clip to. If you're worried about it, RalliTEK and Primitive make aluminum skid plates that cover that space... :)
Good info but owner is 72 and drives 5k miles per year, mostly shuttling grandkids to/from school.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts