Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a 2003 Outback with the 2.5L engine and I notice that the engine tends to have a high pitch whine to it. It's not real loud or anything, just kind of there. It runs great and all, this is my first subaru so I wasn't sure if all the engines tended to have a little bit of a whine to them. Any info is appreciated. -Dave

·
Tokyo's between my toes
2001 Wintergreen Outback 5MT
6,684 Posts
My 98 has a bit of whistle or whine on acceleration, almost sounds like a turbo. I think it's odd, but I kind of like it, too.

Probably has something to do with the air intake silencer - perhaps not completely muffling the sound? Or muffling one wavelength only to create another?

*stomps pedal* "cause this is my Subaru, whatever...

·
Registered
2004 Baja Turbo
106 Posts
If its the noise i'm thinking that your hearing,its normal.Your hearing the timing belt whine.The timing belt has a auto tensioner which keeps the belt tight.A tight timing belt will whine,Mitsubishi motors have that same whine.Most engines that use auto ten. have this noise.

·
Tokyo's between my toes
2001 Wintergreen Outback 5MT
6,684 Posts
Huh, never heard that before, but it makes sense that so many meshing teeth would not be silent.

·
Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
6,186 Posts
My MY02 2.5 whines also, especially under light throttle, high RPM's. It sounds like a supercharger almost. Of course this is usually above 4k and rising. Brian

1 - 5 of 5 Posts