Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im new to my 2004 outback wagon 5sp. my first stick was an old school wagon from 82.
anyway i just took my first road trip and it went very well. not the most comfy seats after 300 miles but thats understandable.
now my question to yu folks is this... im used to a quieter ride. seems like the engine is kinda loud. and i can feel the pistons firing when i hold the stick shift. it doesnt really sound like something wrong, but im not sure. could it be that subys just run a little "chunkier" than a regular car with the AWD etc? is this something i should look into?

·
Tokyo's between my toes
2001 Wintergreen Outback 5MT
6,684 Posts
My 98 (named The Lizard) gets a rattle that I can hear through the gear****f after an hour or so on the freeway. I don't know if this is uneven engine power, or some kind of drivetrain resonance that happens to express itself that way.

·
Tokyo's between my toes
6,684 Posts
Hey, that's a hoot - I wrote g-e-a-r-s-h-i-f-t and it got cencored! Must have been an unfortunate typo on my part..

·
Tokyo's between my toes
6,684 Posts
I don't know if they all do that. It doesn't seem to be a problem with mine, just a very minor annoyance.

·
Registered
2004 Outback Wagon H4 5spd
50 Posts
I'm still under 300 miles with my 2004 5spd. Engine is certainly noisy when cold, but once warm I don't notice any undue noise or vibration.

·
Registered
'04 Colorado, '90 Legacy sedan
137 Posts
Hei all, I just wanted to comment on the noisy engine/pistons before the engine is warmed up.

My dad, who has since retired from Subaru about 2 years ago told me that the piston noise is due the offset wrist pin in the piston.

I don't know why the engineers offset the pin, Dad told me once, something to helping the engine run smoother.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,479 Posts
I think I read it is offset to reduce piston slap! Wonder how bad it would be if the WP were centered?

·
Registered
MCMXCVIII BGVI EJXXV
17 Posts
From what I know, after 1996, there was a revision over the EJ25/22 engine design.

Aside from switching to interferance types, they had many changes to the engine internals.

Subaru deems the emitted noise "normal".

As long as the sound disappears after the engine warmup, it should be fine. However if the noise is still retained after the specific warmup period, there may be a problem.

If in doubt and truely think it is not normal by any means, check the timing belt tensioner, belt, and sprockets. I many cases where this has been the cause of a deep internal knock noise.

-paK +2

·
Registered
2004 Baja Turbo
106 Posts
funkjunkie said:
im new to my 2004 outback wagon 5sp. my first stick was an old school wagon from 82.
anyway i just took my first road trip and it went very well. not the most comfy seats after 300 miles but thats understandable.
now my question to yu folks is this... im used to a quieter ride. seems like the engine is kinda loud. and i can feel the pistons firing when i hold the stick shift. it doesnt really sound like something wrong, but im not sure. could it be that subys just run a little "chunkier" than a regular car with the AWD etc? is this something i should look into?

Its not good to ride with your hand on the shifter when cruising.Hanging onto the shifter will cause excessive wear on the shift forks in the tranny.I learned the hard way when i was a teenager,i didn't know that was a no no.

·
Registered
'04 OB Wagon
81 Posts
Baja's Right...

NEVER rest your hand on the stick shift while driving. You will destroy the forks. I have a bad habit of doing this in my Ford Crown Victoria on the automatic shift lever on the column and it even screwed that up! Once it's in gear...leave it alone.

Kurt

1 - 12 of 12 Posts