Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 590 Posts

·
Registered
2.5i Limited w/ES, Keyless
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
There are several threads about issues with the 2.5L engines burning a lot of oil. I heard on the news that a class action lawsuit is being prepared against the company.

From the article,

A class action lawsuit claims that certain Subaru Forester, Legacy, Outback, Impreza and Crosstek vehicles made since 2011 have defective piston rings which cause the cars to burn oil, possibly causing engine failure.
Is anyone worried that the same defect with the oil piston rings may have carried over to the 2015 models?

cheers,
~d

·
Registered
Outback 1: 2015 2.5i Limited. Option 23, PP5, Hitch. Ice Silver. Outback 2: 2015 2.5i Limited, Option 23, PP5, Carbide Gray.
1,022 Posts
This is an interesting post. My 2011 Outback is approaching 40,000 mi and does not have any oil consumption issues. Does this problem develop at later point, mileage wise? I have the oil changes every 5,000 mi and the level is down maybe 1 pint at that mileage. This is not what I consider excessive oil consumption.

·
Registered
49 Posts
There is a problem with the FB25 engine consuming oil. Here is a link to the SubaruForester.org site. 2011+ Excessive Oil Consumption? (merged thread) - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
241 pages and still going strong. Subaru has issued a TSB regarding excessive oil consumption so they are well aware of it. They made a change to the finish on the oil rings to rectify it. BUT a few people that just bought their 2015 Foresters are complaining still about excessive oil consumption so problem may not be solved yet. There are quite a few potential owners for either the Forester or Outback(myself included)who are holding off buying until we know for sure that problem really has been solved.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited
597 Posts
Hi,

Is anyone worried that the same defect with the oil piston rings have carried over to the 2015 models?

~d
Yes, I'm becoming concerned. Having a delivery date of September gives me plenty of time to change my mind. Time to do some reading. Hmmm...

·
Registered
2015 OB 2.5 Premium Silver
44 Posts
I recall reading at least one review referencing that the 2015 2.5 engine is 80% new for better efficiency. One would hope that any past oil consumption issues would have been addressed.

The impact of these changes on durability/reliability remains to be seen. The large percentage of changes does cause me some concern but my wife's car is due for replacement and the 15 Outback is our top choice.

·
Registered
2015 Outback Limited, Ice Silver
35 Posts
Had 40k on a 2011 Legacy and 13k on a 2014 Legacy - both 2.5i Limited. Neither burned oil. I did a fair amount of research on the issue when moving to a 2014 from the 2011 and gleaned that oil consumption proved not to be a widespread problem. Given my experience with the 2011 and 2014, and the revision of the 2015 engine to reduce internal friction while increasing power and efficiency, I had no qualms about moving to a 2015. I've only had my Outback for a few days now, but am very impressed by the overall ride quality (not to mention overall quality and styling) and noticeably improved torque band.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 3.6R
79 Posts
I've read the online subaru courses (for us subaru techs) and they do mention that the piston rings were revised in the FB25.

EZ36 remains mostly unchanged.....no need to fix what ain't broke.

·
Registered
96 Outback 2.5 AT
427 Posts
I recall reading at least one review referencing that the 2015 2.5 engine is 80% new for better efficiency. One would hope that any past oil consumption issues would have been addressed.

The impact of these changes on durability/reliability remains to be seen. The large percentage of changes does cause me some concern but my wife's car is due for replacement and the 15 Outback is our top choice.
Remember we are talking Subaru. It took them almost 12 years to solve(we hope) the head gaskets issues on the 2.5L engine. I read some threads about the oil consumption being a problem with the 13 and 14s. Not sure if this is true or not. These engines require synthetic oil though I would still change the oil around 4 to 5 thousands miles as if these engines do burn oil, going out 7 thousands miles could be a problem.

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
This is an interesting post. My 2011 Outback is approaching 40,000 mi and does not have any oil consumption issues. Does this problem develop at later point, mileage wise? I have the oil changes every 5,000 mi and the level is down maybe 1 pint at that mileage. This is not what I consider excessive oil consumption.

The the FB engine was first used in the Outback in the 2013 model year. Your 2011 has the tried-n-true EJ25 engine which was perfected over about 10 years. This oil-consumption issue DOES NOT apply to your 2011.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Should I buy a "build to order" 2015 Outback (or Forester)

Hi,
My wife and I are about ready to buy a 2015 Outback (build to order) or Forester.

Almost signed on the dotted line yesterday and now I found this thread.

What is the consensus on whether 2015 models of the 2.5 engine starting starting today have the problem fixed?

I really appreciate your replies, this is the first new car I'm buying and it's the first Subaru.

Thanks,
Jim

·
Registered
2.5i Limited w/ES, Keyless
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My dealer said 6k for Forester and still 7500 for Outback
Is that for the 2015 model? This link shows the service interval as 6,000 miles for 2015 and 7,500 for 2014.

Also from this link:

MAJOR UPDATE: Expect significant changes to the oil change schedule starting with the 2015 models. This page will be updated once the information has been released by Subaru; however, it looks as though they are reducing the mileage interval from 7,500 to 6,000 miles.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The old but very true saying is: Never buy the first model year of a new or refreshened vehicle because design/manufacturing/supplier issues have not been uncovered or solved.

I didn't want to believe this "old saying" after being on the 2004 Ford Freestar vehicle development (design team) and having worked the St. Louis assembly line back when Aerostars were made (the 4WD Aerostar was awesome). But after owning a 2004 Freestar, the "old saying" as proved itself true.

I'd LOVE to buy the 2015 Outback, but with an entirely new body, changes to the 2.5 to try to solve the oil burning and improve MPG and tweaks to the CVT, I'm really nervous.

I really hate to say it, but based on what small SUV are being offered by manufacturers, the safest purchase is a Chevy Equinox or GMC Terrain.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited
597 Posts
The old but very true saying is: Never buy the first model year of a new or refreshened vehicle because design/manufacturing/supplier issues have not been uncovered or solved.
I generally agree with the old saying, but my understanding is that the changes to the CVT and engine were just improvement tweaks and the powertrain is fundamentally the same car as the 4th gen. But like you said it is still a "refresh" and untested long term.

It is definitely something to think long and hard about especially with the ongoing oil consumption issue. It doesn't sound like all the 2.5i engines are affected. Does anyone know the percentage that have the oil burning problem?

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited
675 Posts
Despite some claims to the contrary, I still believe this is largely a function of 0W-20 oil being required. Subaru is far from alone in this "problem", Toyota, Honda, etc. are facing much of the same criticism as well.

FWIW, my 14 OB is about to get it's 2nd oil change. The first was about 4000 miles and I was 1/2 qt down. I've now got about 5000 additional miles on it and the dipstick is showing full. So mine apparantly was using a bit during "break-in". This is by no means excessive.

But, you have:

1. thinner oil.
2. Slicker oil (fully synthetic)
3. Because it's fully synthetic, longer recommended duration between oil changes.
4. Tighter tolerances (meaning presumably the rings have to be thinner as well)
5. Higher oil pressures.

ALL internal combustion engines burn some oil. Every single one ever made, from new. Typically, at a 3000 mile interval with thicker oils on older engines, the amount was so low as to not be noticable. The above factors all increase both how much is burnt between oil changes.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I have had many Outbacks, 6 to be exact, starting from my 2011,2013,2014 all had been driven 120 miles per day all highway and not one used a drop of oils between changes at 6500-7000 miles. I have always used Amsoil XL in these. We have kept hess for about 18 months or 50K. Zero warranty with all of these and zero oil usage. They keep getting better and better. The 2014 being the best. There was a big difference between the 2011 and the 2013, the 13 being better ( CVT being the difference) The 2011 was also excellent. I would not worry about any of these. We are talking less than 1/2 of 1% that might have had a problem. Either way I am sure Subaru will step in given time.

1 - 20 of 590 Posts