Subaru Outback Forums banner

541 - 560 of 590 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited, Ice Silver/Black
1,739 Posts
If mine burned oil I'd probably try something a little thicker than 0w20.
I tried that with my old car. It started burning a quart or so between oil changes at about 150K miles, so I went from 5w-30 to 10w-40. Didn't really help much with consumption, but strangely I picked up a couple miles per gallon. Did that for the last 2-3 years I owned it, mostly off-peak commute with expressway, so repeatable result. Didn't start at -20F parked outside, though...

·
Registered
2016 Outback 2.5 Premium. Venetian Red : 2000 Toyota Tundra : 1985 Toyota 4WD pickup.
575 Posts
Something needs to be said, and it is this; never checking the oil level at all, except for when a warning light comes on, is really inexcusable neglect.

There are engines which burn almost no oil at all, maybe just a few tablespoonsful in 10K miles or so, but most engines will drink a little more than that.

What I'm seeing here is more than one poster who has completely ignored the dipstick (it's that yellow thing under the hood) until the warning light comes on a couple of times and then they've had to add maybe a couple of quarts of extra oil in maybe 20K or even 30K miles of driving.
This is not excessive oil consumption. It's not even close to excessive.

But for some reason there are people who insist that modern engines should never burn any oil at all, or if they do it should never be enough to make adding oil between changes necessary.
This idea, that because some engines go without having to add any oil between changes, then ALL engines must be like that otherwise there's something wrong with them, has become widespread, and it's just wrong.

But because of this belief, some folks just drive their car and never check the oil at all until there's signs of a problem, which quite frankly is absurd behavior, and I can't help but wonder how careless or thoughtless people like that are when it comes to breaking in the engine during the first 1000 miles.

In other words, how many of these supposed "oil burners" are in fact the way they are precisely because the owners have been as inattentive to the break-in procedures as they have to the oil levels in their engines?

No way to know, but it's hard to imagine these observations are irrelevant.

·
Registered
2015 Subaru Outback 2.5L
5 Posts
Well excuse me Rude. I'm sorry that I don't check my oil daily. I have never had a vehicle burn enough oil in only 6000 miles to warrant checking it that frequently. You can give an opinion or advice without being condescending, and I promise it will be better received. If this is what happens when I come on here seeking answers, then I will choose to seek them elsewhere.

Yes, I expect to not have to add oil to my motor just to make it through to the next oil change. I'm sorry if that sounds like I'm asking a lot, but as technology progresses I expect motors to perform better, not worse. I have never had a car ever burn through oil like this. It's sad when my husbands 10+ year old truck with 200,000+ miles on it doesn't burn oil but my brand new car does. I guess since you say this is "normal" for modern motors to burn through oil at a rate of 1quart per 6000 miles I'll just find a 2005 vehicle and be better off.

Thanks again for being rude :x

Something needs to be said, and it is this; never checking the oil level at all, except for when a warning light comes on, is really inexcusable neglect.

There are engines which burn almost no oil at all, maybe just a few tablespoonsful in 10K miles or so, but most engines will drink a little more than that.

What I'm seeing here is more than one poster who has completely ignored the dipstick (it's that yellow thing under the hood) until the warning light comes on a couple of times and then they've had to add maybe a couple of quarts of extra oil in maybe 20K or even 30K miles of driving.

But for some reason there are people who insist that modern engines should never burn any oil at all, or if they do it should never be enough to make adding oil between changes necessary.
This idea, that because some engines go without having to add any oil between changes, then ALL engines must be like that otherwise there's something wrong with them, has become widespread, and it's just wrong.

But because of this belief, some folks just drive their car and never check the oil at all until there's signs of a problem, which quite frankly is absurd behavior, and I can't help but wonder how careless or thoughtless people like that are when it comes to breaking in the engine during the first 1000 miles.

In other words, how many of these supposed "oil burners" are in fact the way they are precisely because the owners have been as inattentive to the break-in procedures as they have to the oil levels in their engines?

·
Registered
2016 Outback 2.5 Premium. Venetian Red : 2000 Toyota Tundra : 1985 Toyota 4WD pickup.
575 Posts
I'm sorry that I don't check my oil daily. I have never had a vehicle burn enough oil in only 6000 miles to warrant checking it that frequently.
I certainly don't check my oil daily, and don't know anyone who does, and I didn't suggest that to you either, but I do check, as recommended in the manual, at least once a month.

As for burning enough oil in 6000 miles to trigger the warning light, if you had checked it once a month, or maybe whenever you fill the windshield washer bottle since you'll have the hood open anyway, the light would never have come on at all.

You can give an opinion or advice without being condescending, and I promise it will be better received. If this is what happens when I come on here seeking answers, then I will choose to seek them elsewhere.
The purpose of my comment was not to upset anyone, but what I said is true, and there really isn't any way to suggest that never checking the oil is irresponsible without actually saying that never checking the oil is irresponsible. It just is. Sorry if that's not what you want to hear.
I have never had a car ever burn through oil like this.... I guess since you say this is "normal" for modern motors to burn through oil at a rate of 1quart per 6000 miles
From your comment I came away with the impression you'd had to add oil twice, both times when the warning light came on. First time was after "less than a year" of ownership, and the second was "less than 6 months later", at which point you had an oil consumption test.
So you've reported adding extra oil twice, and you say your car is now at 30K miles or so.
So that's 2 quarts you've added in 30K miles, not the 5 it would be if you were burning a quart every 6K.

You could probably add a pint or so halfway between oil changes, and the light would never come on. Problem solved.

·
Registered
5,106 Posts

Agree 100% gunnison. Too many rely on the idiot light to let them know their vehicle is low on oil and have no idea how frequently the owners manual advises owners to check it.

Unfortunately some manufacturers are working diligently at creating a world of idiots. Some new German luxury brands no longer even have a dipstick and rely solely on idiot lights.

I'm also a big believer that improper break-in is the cause of many people's oil consumption issues. I broke in my 2.5 '15 OB by the book and so far use a minuscule amount of oil between changes. My wife on the other hand did not break in her 2.5 '14 Forester by the book and uses a quart between changes. Coincidence, I think not but others find it too easy to blame Subaru.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,016 Posts
Agree 100% gunnison. ..........I'm also a big believer that improper break-in is the cause of many people's oil consumption issues. I broke in my 2.5 '15 OB by the book and so far use a minuscule amount of oil between changes. My wife on the other hand did not break in her 2.5 '14 Forester by the book and uses a quart between changes. Coincidence, I think not but others find it too easy to blame Subaru.
Apples and oranges but be glad you don't have a '13. I broke mine in by the book and it consumes 1qt every 2000 miles. That's 3 quarts between oil changes. :surprise: I don't consider a quart between oil changes to be excessive but needing to babysit the oil level and worry about the oil light coming on every time I drive is nonsense.

·
Registered
2014 Impreza SP CVT
385 Posts
I disagree. To me, it's about being 'in tune' with ones vehicle(s).
After I first joined this forum and read about oil burning issues, I was 'scared' into checking the oil in the then new 2014 every couple of days. The oil level never dropped. Then I'd check it once a week, then once a month. Again, the level never dropped. Checking the oil just prior to every 5k oil change shows no oil usage. So, since I KNOW this engine does not use oil, it is not IMO 'inexcusable neglect' not to check it between changes. But that's just me with this particular engine.

·
Premium Member
2015 Legacy 3.6R ES, 2014 Forester Touring ES, 2005 Jeep Liberty Limited
3,231 Posts
I'm also a big believer that improper break-in is the cause of many people's oil consumption issues. I broke in my 2.5 '15 OB by the book and so far use a minuscule amount of oil between changes. My wife on the other hand did not break in her 2.5 '14 Forester by the book and uses a quart between changes. Coincidence, I think not but others find it too easy to blame Subaru.
Preach on Brother.
People nowadays want to be cuddled, spoon feed, and everything done for them.

It use to be owning a vehicle was a sense of pride and it was just normal to be a shade tree mechanic( Not necessarily to able to replace rings or do a rearend) but the normal maintenance. It is much easier now..no need for timing light, points, etc.
Checking tires for wear, proper air pressure, coolant level, cleaning the windshield, oil check, things that doesn't take no more then 10 minutes.
I guess, I am from a different generation where my father taught me the basics of car care.
He always said " If you take care of your car, your car will take care of you"

·
Premium Member
2015 Legacy 3.6R ES, 2014 Forester Touring ES, 2005 Jeep Liberty Limited
3,231 Posts
I disagree. To me, it's about being 'in tune' with ones vehicle(s).
After I first joined this forum and read about oil burning issues, I was 'scared' into checking the oil in the then new 2014 every couple of days. The oil level never dropped. Then I'd check it once a week, then once a month. Again, the level never dropped. Checking the oil just prior to every 5k oil change shows no oil usage. So, since I KNOW this engine does not use oil, it is not IMO 'inexcusable neglect' not to check it between changes. But that's just me with this particular engine.
I sorry, I do not agree. You should never assume anything. Why? Because you will get bit in the a$$. Heavy traffic where you are sitting idling, excessive summer heat, etc. I am very pleased at the present time you are not experiencing any oil consumption but it does not mean that it can't happen. It is always better to be safe than sorry.
But it is your vehicle and you have every right to do what you please.

I do agree that we do become tuned to our vehicles.
Just be Safe.

·
Registered
2016 Outback 3.6 Ltd Red/ES,20 mm RSB
353 Posts
Well excuse me Rude. I'm sorry that I don't check my oil daily. I have never had a vehicle burn enough oil in only 6000 miles to warrant checking it that frequently. You can give an opinion or advice without being condescending, and I promise it will be better received. If this is what happens when I come on here seeking answers, then I will choose to seek them elsewhere.

Yes, I expect to not have to add oil to my motor just to make it through to the next oil change. I'm sorry if that sounds like I'm asking a lot, but as technology progresses I expect motors to perform better, not worse. I have never had a car ever burn through oil like this. It's sad when my husbands 10+ year old truck with 200,000+ miles on it doesn't burn oil but my brand new car does. I guess since you say this is "normal" for modern motors to burn through oil at a rate of 1quart per 6000 miles I'll just find a 2005 vehicle and be better off.

Thanks again for being rude :x
If you were following Subaru maintenance schedule and change oil and filter every 6000 miles you would never have problems with your car. My guess is you would not have to add any oil between changes either.
Every car uses oil (even your husband's truck)- some more some less.

·
Registered
White /Ivory 2015 OB Limited 2.5 Eyesight
985 Posts
I fill our vehicles at our local Sams Club. I try to remember to check the oil level "most all" of the time. I feel we "oil checkers" are becoming a small minority, as I cannot ever remember seeing anyone else opening their car hoods! I do it on our 17K OB, -my 02 80K F150, and my pride-- 89 Toyota Camry 4cyl. 132K!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought my first new car, a 1958 Ford, and it used no oil between 4000 mile changes. I have owned several new cars since, and done of them required oil between changes. I thought oil burning in new cars was a thing of the past.

·
Registered
2015 3.6R
1,855 Posts
So, since I KNOW this engine does not use oil, it is not IMO 'inexcusable neglect' not to check it between changes. But that's just me with this particular engine.
I'm the same way. I used to check it at least once a month after reading some of the issues with oil consumption. Now, 26k miles later, I know mine doesn't really burn any oil to even think twice about.

I will check it about half way through my 6k miles on occasion, but definitely not monthly any longer. Call it being in tune with my car ;) Obviously if it burned a noticeable amount I would check more often.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
I bought my first new car, a 1958 Ford, and it used no oil between 4000 mile changes. I have owned several new cars since, and done of them required oil between changes. I thought oil burning in new cars was a thing of the past.

It is inexcusable for Subaru to put out a product with a problem that even US car brands have solved at least 10 years back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 Outback 2.5i Premium
27 Posts
5 months old and 7000km later and no sign of any oil use. I check it every 2 weeks when engine is cold and warm after a 5min cool down.
When it was received with 9km on the clock, I left the dealer, let her warm up and for the 1st 1000km used the paddle shifters and used the entire rev range where possible. Now 7000km later runs smooth, quiet and is very economical. Can get down to 5.9L/100km on the freeway sitting on 100km/h with 3 adults inside and aircon blazing....

·
Registered
2015 Carbide Gray 3.6R
553 Posts
It is inexcusable for Subaru to put out a product with a problem that even US car brands have solved at least 10 years back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Even my MIL's Camry has oil burning issues, no manufacturer has been completely immune to the issue as oils have become thinner and friction been further reduced.

541 - 560 of 590 Posts