Subaru Outback Forums banner

561 - 580 of 590 Posts

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
It is inexcusable for Subaru to put out a product with a problem that even US car brands have solved at least 10 years back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not exactly. There are many 5 year old or newer GM vehicles with the active fuel management feature that use more oil than some owners would like.

·
Registered
2016 Outback 2.5i Premium
27 Posts
Many BMWs and VWs are designed to burn a bit of oil. My BMW would need a quart every 3000 miles or so. I was told it was normal.
Yes true. With our log books we got a seperate brochure explaining that the GTI will use oil.
It explains what oil to use and how much it can use and that its normal.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Apparently it has, we have a 2015 forester which I just checked and at 14k it was a qt low on oil with the last oil change being 4k ago. our car is garage kept with so sign of leakage. Not sure how to handle this. We take good care of our vehicles and this was very unexpected as we have owned other Subaru models for many years with no issues.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Let's not compare high Performnace BMW with our 2.5i

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Aside from her current 2012 VW GTI, my wife also had a non turbo 2002 Jetta that burnt a quart every 2000 miles as well. One would hope that oil burning as de rigueur was a thing of the automotive past, but apparently not. :-\

·
Registered
2015 Subaru Outback 2.5L Limited Pzev (3rd Subaru)
14 Posts
Oil Consumption Trouble with 2015 Outback

I copied in my post below from a different thread because it is also relevant to this thread.

First oil consumption test back in July resulted in Service Manager reading the oil consumed was right at the acceptable cut-off (1/3 qt. in 1,200 miles). Said he'd recommend that SOA consider a short block replacement if that was what I wanted. I was hesitant, not knowing what all that entailed. He then offered we could do another oil consumption test when I brought the car in for its 30K service, which is what I agreed to do. The 30K service happened last Dec. and, long story short, the oil test wasn't properly documented (and it was overfilled) so I asked for another one. The results from that test came back recently and it showed my car used 20 oz. of oil over 1,544 miles -- well over SOA's tolerance level for what they consider "normal" consumption. The Service Manager contacted me and said he'd been in touch with SOA's district guy and they want to do further diagnostics on the car ("your car doesn't fall within the model years ('11 to '14) for short block replacement," yodda yodda). So, back I went today for a compression test and a leak down test under warranty. Service Manager just called me and reported they found all four spark plugs show oil fouling. Said SOA district guy now wants the cylinder head inspected so my car is likely in the shop for much longer than I expected while they get this done. In our discussion of why there would be oil fouling in the spark plugs, the Service Mgr. asked if I use cheap gas and I said, "No, I don't buy no name gas." He then said "do you ever put Costco gas in?" I said, "yes, I do." He seems to think it's of lower quality and lacks the engine cleaning additives of his preferred gas (Chevron). Thoughts on this people? Back to the problem, he said it's likely the "oil control rings" are stuck or gummed up. When I pressed why this would be happening on a car with 32.2K miles, he said he didn't know but surmised it might be an issue with the pistons and said we'll know more once they pull the cylinder head off and look inside. Looks like we're heading toward short block replacement under warranty, after all. I'm really disappointed I've had this problem with a brand new car. I wish I could get a straight answer as to whether SOA made any technical changes to the short block's parts AFTER I purchased this car in Aug. of 2014 (it's an early model 2015). I've been told two conflicting stories about this by the dealer's employees. Once all is said and done, I'll post a followup to let you know what transpired. In the meantime, if anyone has any helpful thoughts, I'd appreciate hearing them.

·
Registered
2017 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 -Tungsten
12 Posts
If you look at the signs on the fuel pumps at COSTCO at least one should say that the gas is Tier 1. If it is then it is just as good as Chevron with all of the cleaning additives. Glad that they will take care of you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2015 Outback oil burner

I bought a 2015 2.5L Limited new in March 2015. Loved the car right away. Had an electrical problem(still do) that Subaru doesn't want to fix. Car will randomly drain battery when it feels like it. Replaced the undersized OEM battery after the first year. I do my own oil changes between 5500-6000 miles. Use 0W-20 Mobil 1 oil. didn't notice any noticeable consumption until around the 35,000 mile mark. Now at just under 54,000 miles, it uses quite a bit. I've added 2.3 quarts in a little over 4,000 miles since last oil change. This is the first and last Outback for me! I guess Nissan is the next logical step......

·
Registered
2015 Subaru Outback 2.5L Limited Pzev (3rd Subaru)
14 Posts
Final Resolution...(I hope)

Second oil consumption test (= the third one, actually, because the second test had to be redone due to dealership error) resulted in my 2015 Outback consuming 20 oz. of oil over about 1500 miles. This level of consumption is not in compliance with tolerance specified by SOA. This forced the local dealer to take action. First dealer wanted to do more tests including a compression test (came out fine) and a cylinder leak down test (also ok). Then did tear down inspection and found oil passing through piston rings into combustion chamber and oil-fouled spark plugs. I was without my car for 3.5 weeks (given a dealer loaner car during this period) while they replaced the engine's short block and sent the cylinder heads out to be machined given carbon buildup. As for the cause of excess oil consumption, the Service Mgr. explained to me that the one piston they pulled for close inspection showed the gap between the compression and oil control rings being nearly aligned (meaning their gaps were within 3-4˚ of one another or about 3/8" apart) when these gaps should be offset 180˚ from one another as installed at the factory. I asked why this gap line-up would happen and he had no real explanation, offering that he's not an engineer but, again, he pointed back to the amount of carbon buildup present on the top of the piston could be due to use of inferior fuel quality. Again said he thinks Chevron fuel is the way to go given its additives, thinks Costco is inferior fuel (despite what many others have said here). I'm certainly no expert but I seriously question the quality of the fuel being the issue here. I pointed out that if fuel quality was the culprit, surely a lot more vehicles like mine would be having problems, no? (Previously, he'd told me my 2015 Outback is the only one they've had to replace a short block on.) I asked if excess carbon buildup on top of the piston couldn't be caused by the oil (= carbon!) bypassing the gaps found in the rings, then burning and leaving a residue there? He dismissed this idea. I have now driven a few hundred miles on the new short block and the engine is running well so far. Time will tell if this matter is fully resolved.

·
Registered
2.5i Limited w/ES, Keyless
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #572
OP here.
Our 2015 OB is nearing 41k miles and the oil light has come on ~1000 miles before the next scheduled service; this is the second time it's happening. The first time it happened, I drove straight to the dealership to get the oil changed/looked at. The service manager said it was low by only a quart (and a quart is the trigger for the light to turn on), which was "normal" by Subaru's standards.
A couple of days ago the light came on again and I checked the dipstick after letting the car cool down. The level was near the lower notch.
This is getting sad. The car just failed the state inspection too as the rear brakes need to be changed now. Sigh.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2015 Legacy 3.6R ES, 2014 Forester Touring ES, 2005 Jeep Liberty Limited
3,234 Posts
Brakes has nothing to do with your oil consumption and seems kinda early for replacement since usually the fronts does a lot of the work. It is a good idea to periodically to look at you oil level a few times between changes. With that said a quart usages at 5000 miles using 0w-20 grade is not excessive but within reason. Oil usage varies do to driving conditions such as stop and go, high temperatures, harder acceleration just to name a few. So check your oil more often to be on the safe side. Also make a mental log on driving changes which possible increase oil usage. Hey, I go back when oil changed were recommended @3000 miles running 10w-40 , 15w-50 and we still use a 1/2 quart.

Laughing at Oneself and with Others is Good for the Soul

·
Registered
2.5i Limited w/ES, Keyless
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #574
Thanks, though I wasn't implying that the brakes had anything to do with the oil consumption. I was merely whining at what's going on with the car:)

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Premium
189 Posts
. . . a quart usages at 5000 miles using 0w-20 grade is not excessive but within reason. Oil usage varies do to driving conditions such as stop and go, high temperatures, harder acceleration just to name a few. So check your oil more often to be on the safe side. Also make a mental log on driving changes which possible increase oil usage. Hey, I go back when oil changed were recommended @3000 miles running 10w-40 , 15w-50 and we still use a 1/2 quart.
I've the same issue with oil usage. I travel long trips and just returned from west coast putting on 6K miles over 3 weeks. Every 2K I was putting in about 3/4 qt of oil. I've owned maybe 8 cars in my lifetime and never -except for a saab with 150K on it-- have I had to add oil during change intervals. There is nothing usual about this issue. It is most unusual but isn't enough of an issue for me to dump the car. I carry 2 quarts in the wheel well at all times.

·
Registered
2016 Carbide Grey 2.5 Limited Outback with Eyesight. Add-on: Geolandar GO15's on 17" WRX rims, Ecohitch
300 Posts
My 2.5 just passed 50k miles and I've been done the last 4 oil changes at 6,000 mile intervals. The last oil change was the first time I've passed 1/2 quart consumption...and I drive in So Cal traffic daily. I've been very pleased thus far. I have been using Chevron gas primarily (surprisingly it's the cheapest gas that's near me) and been using their fuel cleaner every 3-5k miles.

·
Premium Member
3,234 Posts
I would personally would move to 5w-30 synthetic after the warranty time even through you could loose a little mpgs but Sh an sh!

Laughing at Oneself and with Others is Good for the Soul

·
Premium Member
3,234 Posts
I've the same issue with oil usage. I travel long trips and just returned from west coast putting on 6K miles over 3 weeks. Every 2K I was putting in about 3/4 qt of oil. I've owned maybe 8 cars in my lifetime and never -except for a saab with 150K on it-- have I had to add oil during change intervals. There is nothing usual about this issue. It is most unusual but isn't enough of an issue for me to dump the car. I carry 2 quarts in the wheel well at all times.
I would take it to the dealer and have an oil consumption test since you are at the level that becomes unacceptable. It is important to have it on record just in case or it could be determined that a problem exist.

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5, Ice Silver
893 Posts
My 2.5 just passed 50k miles and I've been done the last 4 oil changes at 6,000 mile intervals. The last oil change was the first time I've passed 1/2 quart consumption...and I drive in So Cal traffic daily. I've been very pleased thus far. I have been using Chevron gas primarily (surprisingly it's the cheapest gas that's near me) and been using their fuel cleaner every 3-5k miles.
I believe Chevron is a top tier gas which should not require buying fuel cleaner 3-5k miles.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Bought my 16 at 9k miles in August, just did another oil change at 25k. I do them at 5k intervals and have measured the last 3 times. I am getting better about zero spillage or loss so the measurements are accurate. This time I ended up with about 4.2 quarts old oil.

I drove a 14 crosstrek that would lose up to 3 quarts in 5k miles so this is acceptable for me. I will continue to measure each time and if I notice that old oil mark getting smaller I will have a consumption test done within the warranty period.

561 - 580 of 590 Posts