Subaru Outback Forums banner

581 - 590 of 590 Posts

·
Premium Member
2015 Legacy 3.6R ES, 2014 Forester Touring ES, 2005 Jeep Liberty Limited
3,231 Posts
It would behoove you to check the oil in between oil changes as standard maintenance procedure.

Laughing at oneself and with others is good for the Soul!

·
Registered
'15 Outback 2.5i Limited Option 5 Black on Black
10 Posts
Late to the game here, my '15 2.5i limited started this trend at about 45k... I have added a qt of oil to it between each dealer oil change since.

First time I went in to Lou Fusz in STL the service writer explained that that type of oil consumption was within limits.

Fast forward February 2019 to 55000 miles when I just went in and explained, the current service writer told me to come back after 1200 miles to check, if car has burned less than 1/3qt of oil than there isn't a problem. If it fails this test then they are talking short block replacement etc... will this solve the problem? I've read that it won't...

My next question is what happens when I pass 60,000 and I'm out of warranty?

·
Registered
'15 Outback 2.5i Limited Option 5 Black on Black
10 Posts
Late to the game here, my '15 2.5i limited started this trend at about 45k... I have added a qt of oil to it between each dealer oil change since.

First time I went in to Lou Fusz in STL the service writer explained that that type of oil consumption was within limits.

Fast forward February 2019 to 55000 miles when I just went in and explained, the current service writer told me to come back after 1200 miles to check, if car has burned less than 1/3qt of oil than there isn't a problem. If it fails this test then they are talking short block replacement etc... will this solve the problem? I've read that it won't...

My next question is what happens when I pass 60,000 and I'm out of warranty?

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,255 Posts
a warrant-able complaint documented before the expiration should be OK.

additionally, Regional Reps have sometimes OK'd some level of customer 'good will' on after-warranty work needed on major systems - with SOA approval.

dealers usually follow the letter of the warranty so, be prepared to contact SOA and get a rep involved if needed.

·
Registered
2015 Outback Limited 2.5
488 Posts
There is a woman I know who has an OB. She thinks it is a 2015 but I thought that she once told me it was 2014. Anyhow she said they burn a quart of oil on their 600 mile round trip to visit their son.

I mentioned it is a possible known problem and she dis say the dealer mentioned an oil consumption test.

Hm?

I'm not sure which model years of OB even had oil consumption issues?????

·
Registered
4 Posts
We have the same issue and it's a known and well-documented manufacturing flaw with these 2015 Outbacks. We need our short block replaced and Subaru America will only cover about 60% of it leaving us to pay $2500 out of pocket. My question: Has anyone gotten Subaru to cover the entirety of the short block replacement? Or, any advice on how to get it covered? It makes zero sense to me that I'm responsible for covering their issue. Thanks!

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
6,632 Posts
... any advice on how to get it covered?
Not if your 2015 is out of the 5 year/60,000 mile drive train warranty. I think it would be covered under a SAS "extended warranty" plan, though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Not if your 2015 is out of the 5 year/60,000 mile drive train warranty. I think it would be covered under a SAS "extended warranty" plan, though.
We don't have one and out of goodwill, they said they'd cover what the extended warranty would cover which is $3500. Either way I'm out $2500 :(

·
Registered
2015 Outback 3.6R
150 Posts
We have the same issue and it's a known and well-documented manufacturing flaw with these 2015 Outbacks. We need our short block replaced and Subaru America will only cover about 60% of it leaving us to pay $2500 out of pocket. My question: Has anyone gotten Subaru to cover the entirety of the short block replacement? Or, any advice on how to get it covered? It makes zero sense to me that I'm responsible for covering their issue. Thanks!
Just add oil and keep on drivin'. Why did you buy the 2015 if it's a known and well-documented manufacturing flaw?

581 - 590 of 590 Posts