Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
06 Outback 2.5i, 06 BMW 325xi wagon, 02 2.5rs, 82 CB750, Polaris XC SP 500, and a single speed bike.
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is on a 2005 Outback Limited w/ 2.5 and 4EAT.

As soon as the vehicle is put into gear (forward or reverse), the trip odo changes to ER IU. I've tried resetting the battery, turning the key on 30 seconds and then starting it, and nothing changes. Key off and back on again will clear it until it's put back in gear.

No CEL in engine or trans modules according to FreeSSM.

There are a couple functions that don't seem to work: inserting and removing the seat belt buckle 40 times in 30 seconds to turn off the seat belt warning doesn't appear to work, and I can't pull codes through the cluster either (lights on, push knob four times, lights off, etc). Not sure if anything is supposed to happen if there are no codes stored in memory with that function though.

I'm trying to fix this as cheaply as possible since I'm flipping this car following head gasket replacement a few weeks ago. Any thoughts on where to start diagnosing this one? Thanks.

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,150 Posts
It means there is an error with the ecu communicating to immobilizer, tcu, a few other things.

When this happened to me, my ECU was bricked. Has anyone been monkeying with the test connectors or reading or dropping ROMs?

·
Registered
06 Outback 2.5i, 06 BMW 325xi wagon, 02 2.5rs, 82 CB750, Polaris XC SP 500, and a single speed bike.
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not that I'm aware of. I picked this up from a guy and he said it's been like this for months, if not years. No drivability issues, just the code in the cluster.

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,150 Posts
Try unplugging the ECU.

Disconnect the battery, unplug...then re-plug the ECU, connect the battery.

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,368 Posts
The IU refers to the body integrated unit. That'll be the big one under the steering column that handles seat belts, windows, interior lighting, and manages communications to all the other modules.

It sounds like you need the BIU troubleshooting chapter from the factory service manual. It's floating around out there, or rent your own from stis.subaru.com

1 - 6 of 6 Posts