Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
see the link for a bunch of inexpensive 'check engine' code readers. Is there a specific one needed for a 99 legacy outback? are these cheap readers any good/reliable? once I have a code there is reference guides online or elsewhere to get the code meaning? I apologize for the barrage of questions here
Amazon.com: car error code reader

·
Premium Member
11,882 Posts
Actron makes a good reader that also allows you to see the data live with the engine running. Most will even show you the Emission Monitor status so after a repair and you need that emission test, you can drive the car and watch them fall off the screen or show ok as they set.

If it ever comes to it, if the MIL light comes on, post the codes here to save yourself a lot of time searching the internet for what may be bogus solutions. Nothing like wasting time and money chasing a problem if you don't need to.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Actron Auto scanner plus cp9180 does not recognize Subaru

Great unit, offers a lot but doesnt recognize my subaru outback 2000. Went to website and did not show subaru as one it will work on. Went to website and checked and the unit was at the latest software update.

·
Registered
16,967 Posts
see the link for a bunch of inexpensive 'check engine' code readers. Is there a specific one needed for a 99 legacy outback? are these cheap readers any good/reliable? once I have a code there is reference guides online or elsewhere to get the code meaning? I apologize for the barrage of questions here
Amazon.com: car error code reader
if you own a smartphone, there's the elm327 bluetooth units and Torque app. (like those $21 items listed. you can find some for $15 or less on ebay I think)

I have an older Innova - works on both my soobs.

·
Premium Member
11,882 Posts
Great unit, offers a lot but doesnt recognize my subaru outback 2000. Went to website and did not show subaru as one it will work on. Went to website and checked and the unit was at the latest software update.
Does it have an option for Generic OBDII? If so, it should read it. All OBDII vehicles sold in the US have to comply with the standard and scan tools should offer a generic reader. Outside USDM, couldn't tell ya.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
5 Participants
cardoc
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing