Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Ice Silver 2.5i Limited
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finding facilities who sell no ethanol gas is getting harder and harder, at least where I live. Has anyone used Mix-I-Go or the new Ethanol Defense both by Bell Performance? Are either worth adding for better mpg's and engine protection from ethanol mixed gas?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I live in the north east and they supposedly do it to also help it during the summer. Hopefully it may go down in the winter but 10% ethenol should be max 5% preferably. I cannot find even 5% anymore so I would like to voice my own interest in the effectiveness of the products the OP speaks of.

·
Registered
2011 Forester XT touring
337 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, I've got the site bookmarked and check regularly. Most of the places selling straight gasoline, in my area, are marinas, who tend to sell to their boating patrons or are inconveniently far away.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just shot off an email to SOA to see if using these products void the warranty. Will post finding.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Official response:

Thank you for taking the time to contact us. I hope that you are enjoying your 2012 Outback.

Subaru of America does not recommend these additives, as we have not tested and approved them for use in our vehicles. If you were to use these or other additives, the warranties on your vehicle would not be voided. However, if they were to cause any issues with your Outback, the repairs may not be covered under warranty.

Thank you, for the opportunity to be of service.

Sincerely,

John J. Mergen
Subaru of America, Inc.
Customer/Dealer Services Department
1-800-SUBARU3 (1-800-782-2783)
Service Request #1-2079047108

·
Registered
24 Posts
From what I gather it is not worth it in the long haul. Maybe in the deep winter or any high moisture enviorments but it will cost you. Just top up with 93 octane and try and find a brand you like. Shell and Exxon have done me well in that regard.

·
Registered
2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/nav/eye
366 Posts
and just think their pushing for 15% in the future....:mad:

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Finding facilities who sell no ethanol gas is getting harder and harder, at least where I live. Has anyone used Mix-I-Go or the new Ethanol Defense both by Bell Performance? Are either worth adding for better mpg's and engine protection from ethanol mixed gas?
Couple of things - you cant filter out the water the bar tender watered your top shelf drink down with same applies to Ethanol its in there its not getting removed or altered by adding fruit punch to the drink. Make sense?

Also regarding protection? Unless you own a boat and your storing the gas for extended periods of time you don't need to protect your car against ethanol unless the car is really old.

Is Ethanol a scam and crap fuel **** yes! However you use your car on a regular basis don't you? Your not parking it for say 5 months while you walk across the US protesting Ethanol right? Then you do not need to add anything to your fuel tank. Fill up and drive!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It just baffles me why the government would institute something providing LESS mpgs and harmful to boot. On second thought, no it doesn't.

·
Registered
2013 Legacy Lim CVT Car: 2011 OB Prem 6MT Car: 2006 Miata GT 6MT mc: 2003 Honda GL1800A * Reunite Gondwanaland *
3,567 Posts

Ethanol raises the octane rating but has lower BTU content
than gasoline -- and so, it reduces mpg. No magic potion
"ethanol antidote" will convert ethanol to gasoline or do
anything useful -- but it is guaranteed to lighten your wallet.

...a fool and her money are soon courted,

Looby

·
Registered
'18 Accord EX-L 2.0t; Wife's car: '16 3.6r Ltd. w/ Eyesight
855 Posts
It just baffles me why the government would institute something providing LESS mpgs and harmful to boot. On second thought, no it doesn't.
My understanding is that requiring more ethanol in gas helps the US corn farmer and reduces the need to import foreign oil. It's pretty much a kickback to the farmers and a political talking point to the uneducated. I could be way off base, but it sounds right!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts