Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT, 1984 Porsche 944
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any Euro Self Leveling suspension experts here? My '06 needs new struts in the rear, and I'm trying to find out how much it would cost to add the self leveling suspension.

As we all know, "ghost wondering" is a real problem with our vehicles. My personal opinion on the mater is, the US cars are prone to it because our vehicles aren't equipped with the self leveling struts. Therefore, whenever our cars are loaded down, the camber moves out of tolerance. It seems like the Outback's suspension was designed with load leveling in mind. Unfortunately the US price-point dictated a direction away from safety.

So here's what I've found out.

There are a couple of part numbers. KYB is the manufacturer.

20365AG240 (MY05 2.5i)

20365AG300 (MY06 eng?)

I found these through a Swedish auto dismantler. According to wikipedia, all Swedish Outbacks came with self leveling suspension standard (can anyone confirm this?)

I don't know if the 240 and 300 are different because of the model year, or because of the engine (I'm not sure what engine the 06 has.)

The seller I looked at sells the strut, spring, and strut mount as an assembly for ~$150. Not cheap, but not terrible (assuming they have some life left)

Speaking of life left, it seems like many with the self leveling suspension want to get rid of it. Not because it has terrible handling or anything, but because it is so expensive to replace. I also read (on a Russian site) that some people only get 30,000 miles out of these before the seals burst internally and have to be replaced.

As far as making sure the suspension is level after the conversion, my thought is that I can always add a spacer. From what I've read, it would only need to be ~.250"

I could always go the "normal" '04 KYB replacement, but to me that's a band-aid fix. I'd rather address the root problem if at all possible.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The more common theory that the "ghost walking" is from the higher ride height of the US Outback has a much stronger technical basis. You might fix the problem though if you swap in a lower euro suspension...

http://opposedforces.com/ is your friend for part numbers...

·
Registered
2005 OBW 2.5L, 1989 Subaru Justy, RIP Blu
7,355 Posts
Ghost walking is not on all cars. My 2006 outback LTD does not do it. I do have brand new KYB Struts in it. Everything I read has been about the toe not being set dead on properly.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,529 Posts
The clever-leveling suspension was on some Citroen models back in the 70's... I had one on my 1972 Citroen-Maserati SM....I could pump up the ground clearance almost as high as the current OB...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts