Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2016 WRX, 2017 BRZ, 2017 Legacy
365 Posts
The big question is where are they made? If china, I'll pass thanks. You get what you pay for.

Stick with Timken or consider Detroit Axle bearings
Assuming Subaru put Japanese bearings in my Outback, they didn't fare well either. At 95K the rears went, then replacements they put in failed at 105k, and then the front's failed at 120k, and now the fronts are failing again at 175k. At this point I'm just going to buy the cheapest ones I can find as it appears the $100 units Subaru uses don't last very long either.

Ultimately it isn't where they are made, but how, and we must therefore purchase from a trusted manufacturer who has oversight over the manufacturing and QA process and stand behind their products. This goes for bearings, turbo's, tools, etc.

·
Registered
365 Posts
My 2010 Outback has 80k miles on it. I am not sure when mine started failing, since I did not know about the problem until I took the car into the dealer to diagnose why the car started vibrating at highway speeds. I was quoted around $800 for the work, which unfortunately I cannot afford, so I am going to attempt to replace them myself.
If you go this route, I would suggest that you seek entire new hubs with bearings, so you won't need a press to replace just the bearing. The price is not that much more than just the bearing.

·
Registered
365 Posts
It may not be a particular problem with the bearings themselves but instead it may be in how they are pressed in.
I can't prove, but I do suspect, that a major reason for the premature failure of the replacement bearing is that the dealership actually did press out and back in the bearings, rather than replace the whole hub.

For all the reasons you mentioned I recommended that the OP purchase a complete hub assembly instead of just the bearing, and let the factory deal with properly pressing them in.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.